The absinthe ritual

25 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

And this is the problem. The inability for people to use common sense to recognize this isn’t about “glorifying alcohol”. I don’t see it as a promotion to go drink. I don’t think anyone on the Blue Stars design time ever said “oh let’s go make a show to push people to drink” 

If we begin dictating what art can and cannot be, we can no longer have art. 

Symphonie Fantastique is, however, a five-movement symphonic ad from Big Opium.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Weird flex when nobody has a problem about sinning but you draw the line at a drink. (for the record I'm fine with both)

The Blue Stars have a history of this, though. I watched the 2010 show, locked myself in a box, and couldn't escape for two weeks. Then in 2011, the corps influenced me to join Project Treadstone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any show centered around alcohol performed by young people is 100% inappropriate. 

In this particular case of a junior drum corps performing such a show I would hope the judges would recognize how inappropriate this is and downgrade its scores accordingly.

• Haha 2

Honestly, there is so much worse happening in this country and y’all want to clutch your pearls at this? Lord save us all if this all you care about. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Any show centered around alcohol performed by young people is 100% inappropriate. 

In this particular case of a junior drum corps performing such a show I would hope the judges would recognize how inappropriate this is and downgrade its scores accordingly.

Punish the performers for performing well because you don’t like what it’s about? 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows

If you haven't spoken to people whose lives were demolished at the intersection of a youth activity and substances, I may not expect you to understand.

I care profoundly about those people. And their drum corps abandoned them at their most vulnerable. They are still affected today.

What @Vidal28Rdg is alluding to are called latent vulnerabilities. And more members are marching with them than we'll ever know. That's why special care much be taken with all aspects of the program to protect such members first. There's a lot more to make shows about in life than substances. Like, a whole lot more.

Or stop calling yourself a youth activity. Simple.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

33 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

The Blue Stars have a history of this, though. I watched the 2010 show, locked myself in a box, and couldn't escape for two weeks. Then in 2011, the corps influenced me to join Project Treadstone.

Let us not forget the years and years of promotion of murder by Phantom Regiment. 

There is an old, I believe Australian, saying that goes ‘Alcohol is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master’.  

And, just because the show is about absinthe, that doesn’t mean Blue Stars are doing shots before and after each performance. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Punc.t.uation
  • Like 3