DCI Central Indiana 2023

I’m not fully sold on Crown, but this will be their best show since ‘16 at least. However, I have 3 concerns. Their visual design sometimes feels a bit forced and inauthentic, but I often feel that way about Crown. The lack of guard integration is a bit of a head scratcher to me and at least on the sky cam, feels like a step backward from most years. My last criticism is that the stage top feels a bit out of place in each movement and a bit of an eyesore, at least on the video I watched.

All that being said, I tend to be fairly critical of Crown each year and I’m impressed with what they put out. I wrote off medal contention from the moment I saw them last year, but I’m not doing that this year - much more solid legs. I don’t think this will win, but that’s dependent on the strength of BAC/BD/BC.

Loved Crown’s french horn 

• Like 2

Everybody was fantastic. Great show, watching from Flo. I really, really enjoyed Blue Stars, Crown, Troopers, and Phantom, but was impressed by every corps. Great job!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

I didn't say you were stupid, I said you weren't there live (there's a big difference between being there and streaming) and you aren't qualified to judge. Very few of us are.

He wasn't judging, he was giving his opinion, which he's entitled to as are you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up the feed for the show at about 9:30 EST so I've had to rewind a bit to catch everyone. First and foremost I am enjoying all the shows. Maybe some more than others but I think everyone I have seen so far is sporting very entertaining and challenging shows. 

The scores are about what I expected. Crown was clearly the strongest corps. Phantom's show is also stunning and has the ability to hang with Crown in some areas. Not sure they can catch them, but who knows. There were some questionable reads by a few judges tonight but you never know what they were hearing or seeing. I will echo what others have said and that is Cavaliers brass tonight was quite sloppy and I would not have had them over Blue Stars in any meaningful way. Cavaliers also have a tough book just as Blue Stars do but it's pretty clear who is cleaner and projecting better. Interestingly enough that judge also had Music Analysis Achievement with Cavaliers in 3rd, Troopers in 4th, and Blue Stars in 5th. Very odd to me. But I don't want to say the judge is wrong. Again I do not know what they heard tonight. But this could flip flop. 

As for the corps performances I enjoyed everyone. My feeling on Colts and Troopers have not changed and only strengthened after last night. Troopers are more balanced and more readable across the board. The show is easier to follow and tighter in its' construction. Colts have a little more oomph in brass (not better but more pronounced). Did anyone else hear that one crazy flurry of notes the Colts do (from the high voices down)? It reminds a little of what Blue Devils did in 2019 when the brass line is all sitting on the props. Not to that level, but Bravo Colts for giving that thing a try. Cool moment. Colts color scheme really grabs the eyes. Interestingly...as I look at the Colts uniforms I am reminded of the motion picture "The Incredibles." Soloists were excellent again tonight.  As Troopers clean and add more confidence to the brass, especially in the bigger GE moments, that show will start to kick into gear. Love the trumpet soloist. The harmonica solo is great. The company front to the end will be spectacular come Finals. When that cleans and kicks up 2 or 3 notches the crowd will be on their feet. 

I am excited for Cavaliers this summer. The show is dirty in all kinds of ways and the ideas need tightened up. I think the concept is there. I love the music choices. Those are some of my favorite songs from their past and I like the idea of how they are weaving various motifs into this package. Usually it takes time to clean that kind of thing until it becomes seamless. A lot of shaping is needed. They have one heck of a percussion section. Brass will come around but it takes a while to flesh-out so many motifs without taking away from the main themes being presented. The back half of the show, from Somewhere to the end, should be outstanding with some nice GE moments once they clean. I think the front end of the show will need more work to finesse a more complex set of ideas that seem to be popping in and out quite quickly. Much of the drill reminds me of the old days filled modern twists. Love the uniforms though not wild about the hats -- but I am no fashion designer. Guard was staged better than last year at this time and did a fine job. If the Cavaliers can pull-off some of the subtleties of this show and still bring out those big moments then this could be stunning come Finals. Ultimately this show is so much better in design and focus than the 2022 version. There is a LOT to work with here. Let's see where they go with it. 

Reviews for Blue Stars, Phantom and Carolina coming soon. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t get Phantom’s company front out of my head. Could be the mic placement, but those Buicks were really Buicking, holy cow. 

• Like 2

Was the repertoire shown on Flo correct for Cavies? I’ve watched them 3 times and haven’t heard Tiger Rag or Sing Sing Sing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

Was the repertoire shown on Flo correct for Cavies? I’ve watched them 3 times and haven’t heard Tiger Rag or Sing Sing Sing. 

No lol. I think sing sing sing may be an encore piece?

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Yeah, you're a straight shooter.  Cavaliers are dirtier, but I believe that their ceiling is higher once cleaned. Maybe a little rework here and there.

You definitely have the knowledge and experience to have a well formed opinion 👍 

Cavies have a hard show, visually, with difficult drill

Lots of new guys in the hornlone too.

Cavies show is difficult, there are some very tight pass-throughs and marching sequences.

Phantom stages show really cool drum corps moments

Blue Stars have a lot going on, sometimes too much

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

Encore

• Like 1