Rotary Music Festival Cedarburg, WI - July 3, 2023

45 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This. And somewhere between SA and Indy a “score correction curve” is coming. Unless we’re going to have 4-5 corps above 95 by Atlanta. With 2+ weeks left to go. 

I'm not sure why the judges feel like corps' scores need to jump every single show. It is entirely possible corps can perform 3 nights in a row, and that 3rd performance is worse than the 1st, yet you'll still see 2 point jumps for no reason. Wisconsin scores were definitely a couple points too high, but once the show lineups are fuller thru TX to SA, I'm sure we'll see the scores settle down. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Top 12 all break 90

Top  corps back in 2013 and 2003 were already scoring in the low 80’ s. Both Crown and BD were in Utah on July 3 and Crown was 83 something and BD was 82 something. 2023…. the scores are not inflated. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Top  corps back in 2013 and 2003 were already scoring in the low 80’ s. Both Crown and BD were in Utah on July 3 and Crown was 83 something and BD was 82 something. 2023…. the scores are not inflated. 

Shouldn’t the score depend on the performance & not the calendar?  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah what makes you they are not. If anything these corps look pretty darn good for early July. 

They have to be with the current length of the season. Corps have to be almost regional ready, now, out of the gates. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm not sure why the judges feel like corps' scores need to jump every single show. It is entirely possible corps can perform 3 nights in a row, and that 3rd performance is worse than the 1st, yet you'll still see 2 point jumps for no reason. Wisconsin scores were definitely a couple points too high, but once the show lineups are fuller thru TX to SA, I'm sure we'll see the scores settle down. 

Because corps demand it.  The number one complaint from ensembles is when they know they have improved, but their score went down.

So never mind all those pesky facts in the rest of your post.  Never mind that there are a hundred other similarly logical reasons why we should not expect scores from diverse judging panels to behave like absolute measures of value from the same machine.  Some circuits purposely install systemic numbers-management measures to create rising scores throughout the season in order to make the ensembles happy.  Not sure whether DCI does this by design... but if not, then it is by habit.

And people wonder why there is slotting... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Where did I say they were inflated? I just said all top 12 break 90

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Because corps demand it.  The number one complaint from ensembles is when they know they have improved, but their score went down.

I don't have a problem with scores going up as corps improve. I have a problem with scores going up when corps have a WORSE performance than the night before. 😂

• Like 2