Rotary Music Festival Cedarburg, WI - July 3, 2023

12 hours ago, Madisonscoutsfan said:

Thats gotta be the closest to The Cavaliers that the Troopers have been in modern history

1974: Last time Troopers beat Cavaliers. It could happen if Troopers guard can clean!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

This is the year it looks possible. Would be interesting

I hope so. I hate it when those finals scores are announced that the low 12 get a deflated score while the top gets that boost. IMO ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm not sure why the judges feel like corps' scores need to jump every single show. It is entirely possible corps can perform 3 nights in a row, and that 3rd performance is worse than the 1st, yet you'll still see 2 point jumps for no reason.

This is a good point and it seems fairly obvious that in the early season with shows being so dirty, with some corps marching holes, with shows not being complete, and inconsistent performance levels on different fields in different cities and under different weather conditions that there would be a vast fluctuation in scoring. 

On the flip side because shows are dirty and not finished (or with so much to add and layer and with many of the marching members just now getting a handle on the total product) it makes sense that each day you are going to have marching members gaining more confidence. They will play something better, even the smallest of phrases, marching a little better, twirl a little better -- even if they mess up some big section that they usually do well on. It doesn't take much for a show to improve in the early season. There are so many issues that fixing little things does not take much. 

It is much more difficult to clean and perfect a show once you hit a solid level of performing. In some cases, when you get to that point, you will have members who are beginning to max-out what they can give and others performing super well but they have a higher ceiling or endurance or more experience and are ready to take it to the next level. Now your job is to get those who are close to maxing what they can physically give and see if you can get them to that next level. 

For most corps scoring should be more difficult to gain in numbers from mid-season to the end. The exception, of course, are top corps like Blue Devils, Boston, Crown, Bluecoats who have a more consistent level of experience where they can be pushed to super high levels once the base show is learned and cleaned (relatively speaking). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I hope so. I hate it when those finals scores are announced that the low 12 get a deflated score while the top gets that boost. IMO ridiculous. 

As much as you want to deny it's a thing, this is also slotting. 😂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Yeah I'll never believe corps get worse at finals. 87 at semis down to an 85? No way

Sunday night at the San Bernardino show during the Intermission, I got to meet Allen Christensen who judged Music Analysis that night. Nice guy! I had a two-minute conversation with him. I really wanted to ask him about all these scoring/slotting/judging conspiracies that we argue and regurgitate every year............but I felt that it was inappropriate to put him on the spot in that moment, especially since he was kind enough to come and start a conversation with me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

For most corps scoring should be more difficult to gain in numbers from mid-season to the end. The exception, of course, are top corps like Blue Devils, Boston, Crown, Bluecoats who have a more consistent level of experience where they can be pushed to super high levels once the base show is learned and cleaned (relatively speaking). 

This is why I feel music scores could be higher than they currently are.  Some may argue some guards are under scored currently.  I believe most corps have their music learned before ST.    Sure, when you play while marching new drill, there are some music errors, but the top brass/percussion lines have their music down and played the way the staff wants it. This opinion is just that with no proof to say these lines need weeks of work to gain up to four more points. 

15 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Sunday night at the San Bernardino show during the Intermission, I got to meet Allen Christensen who judged Music Analysis that night. Nice guy! I had a two-minute conversation with him. I really wanted to ask him about all these scoring/slotting/judging conspiracies that we argue and regurgitate every year............but I felt that it was inappropriate to put him on the spot in that moment, especially since he was kind enough to come and start a conversation with me. 

I've talked to top Wgi/DCI judges. It's all about rank and score. If you think two groups are almost identical second place will be .1 behind in each subcaption trying to avoid giving out ties. 

• Like 1