CrownBeat 2023

1 minute ago, NewArpege said:

Totally.  That’s what makes drum corp interesting:  different views and perspectives.  I’m going with my gut reaction.  Tonight I even had my partner watching and he had the same reaction I did when I saw it first — I think something is off about the way they are pulling together the theme and the maximalist approach is distracting from where to focus on what. 

Changes will be made.  I’m hoping they edit back though. 

I can feel that. What might be interesting (if even possible) could be a deeper dive into the symbolism of the poem.  It's so short but very heavy.

24 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Not trying to offend.  It’s not about if I like BCs show or not (I actually do like it), but it’s visually and thematically unfocused. Too much going on:  multiple tarps, green house, stage, butterflies, black butterflies, women in black veils, moving platforms, etc. And all that’s going on over weirdly cut pieces of a poem.  It reminds me of the GE problems Crown had last year or SCV in 19.

I think BC is headed for 4th unless they figure a way to structurally simplify their show. Meanwhile, if PR builds, they have a chance in the right conditions to make a move. 

You do you BA … you’re great!

• Like 1

A year where Phantom Cavies and Cadets all have a sense of their old identity and swagger again is a great year, IMHO.

I think Cadets’ show is quite fun! Kinda piecemeal, but I like the pieces a lot. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

“Smile” is a gorgeous encore tune. 

Ironically, I watched Smile tonight instead of watching this show (catching up a bit now). Let me tell you, friends, that movie is a wild ride.

• Like 2

Cadets’ guard having a nice string of years as well, which is a definitely heartening. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Cadets need to clean. Very demanding show. They are quite dirty but boy is that a sensational show! They have a fantastic closer already in place which helps. But for now I would give Phantom the edge on Cadets. 5-9 is wicked. 1-4 is wicked. 

This is a great summer for drum corps. 

I personally just cannot get past those ridiculous uniforms the Cadets are wearing. It's just tacky. Then show itself is fine 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Totally.  That’s what makes drum corp interesting:  different views and perspectives.  I’m going with my gut reaction.  Tonight I even had my partner watching and he had the same reaction I did when I saw it first — I think something is off about the way they are pulling together the theme and the maximalist approach is distracting from where to focus on what. 

Changes will be made.  I’m hoping they edit back though. 

I am total agreement. It is an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to design.  For me, it just is not landing.  Where riffs had a flow, even in early season, this show does not.

32 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

Not trying to offend.  It’s not about if I like BCs show or not (I actually do like it), but it’s visually and thematically unfocused. Too much going on:  multiple tarps, green house, stage, butterflies, black butterflies, women in black veils, moving platforms, etc. And all that’s going on over weirdly cut pieces of a poem.  It reminds me of the GE problems Crown had last year or SCV in 19.

I think BC is headed for 4th unless they figure a way to structurally simplify their show. Meanwhile, if PR builds, they have a chance in the right conditions to make a move. 

I definitely like Phantom's show better, but to be frank, the corps does not have the talent to overtake Bluecoats. That's not a knock against the kids at phantom, they sound and look phenomenal this year. But the Bluecoats' performance levels are at a different level. There will likely be some stratification between 4 and 5

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

A year where Phantom Cavies and Cadets all have a sense of their old identity and swagger again is a great year, IMHO.

I think Cadets’ show is quite fun! Kinda piecemeal, but I like the pieces a lot. 

Very good description I agree w!