First score of the season is higher then in the past

Any reason why some corps are scoring higher then the past 20 years?  Did they start later so got more practice time vs traveling time (Noticed that with The Troopers last year).  This compares the highest first score in the last 20 years to this years first score.

1st score 2023 Prev Hi 1st score Diff
Bluecoats 79.8 74.9 4.9
Blue Devils 77 77.5 -0.5
Boston  77.15 75 2.15
The Cadets 76.4 77 -0.6
Carolina Crown 75 74.65 0.35
Blue Knights 72 70.6 1.4
Phantom Regiment 71.3 73.5 -2.2
The Cavaliers 70 75.35 -5.35
Blue Stars 69.3 66.2 3.1
Crossmen 70.5 72.5 -2
Mandarins 71.2 63.9 7.3
The Academy 65.5 69.55 -4.05
Troopers 66.75 65.5 1.25
Madison Scouts 64.1 71.1 -7
Colts 65.5 68.75 -3.25
  • Like 2

Its probably a variety of reasons. Some started later this season than other seasons. Some are noticeably better this early season than other early seasons they have had. Others this season are not as prepared and/ or not as good, for their early season shows.   There were fewer shows this season in June than 10-20 years ago too. Earlier season shows in June can effect historical scores. So theres a number of factors that can explain the individual corps variance seen above.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

Perhaps a later start for all corps. Drumcorp shows use to start in mid-June. And way back late May. Now were are seeing a handful that don't start until early July.

<<Sarcasm On>>
DCI has the finals scores figured out, so it is a relatively easy regression calculation to work backwards to determine score for any given Corps on any day of the season.  
<<Sarcasm Off>>

• Like 1

I think they should be. They all started much later this year than in the past. That means more time to prepare and refine.

• Like 1

Late start after 6 weeks of spring training in many cases definitely plays a part. I also think smarter design choices were made up front or smart changes happened before the first show that helped. It also appears more corps put the shell on the field and are filling it in as opposed to losing cleaning time by practicing the secret ending 

• Like 3

Comparison of 1st shows is one thing. Comparison on scores by calendar date is another. Regardless, by the time we get to the final Saturday night in Indy, this year’s scores from low to high will be very similar to any other year. 

• Like 1

Yeah to me, you shouldn't be looking at first scores of the season and comparing those as those dates are changing each year. Go from Finals and work your way back (like 30 days before finals or something) and that can be a better comparison if you're looking at doing a comparison.

I agree that the later start accounts for higher scores. I also think Jeff Ream has some good insights regarding design. When we hear critiques this season, we’re hearing more about what a corps has to add rather than revamp and change. The later start gave the corps to be better prepared on many fronts.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1