DCI Tupelo - Tupelo, MS - July 13

33 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I wouldn't characterize BD 2017 as mostly re-hash, and I'd argue that BD 2007 had far more re-hash elements than 2017. 

But I think this further proves the point - you can celebrate an anniversary without over-doing the re-hash thing.

...and they're NOT. Seriously. So many haters for the Cavaliers.

The most "rehashed" part of the show is the Gloria stuff, and it's NOT even the same arrangements as '89 and '90.

The other stuff is just hints of things they've played, not full-out pieces. They're deconstructed melodic highlights. They're mixed in with entirely freshly written material.

To all, hate on it if you must, but let's get real. The hate isn't because of the music as much as the performance level not being there yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The most "rehashed" part of the show is the Gloria stuff, and it's NOT even the same arrangements as '89 and '90.

The other stuff is just hints of things they've played, not full-out pieces. They're deconstructed melodic highlights. They're mixed in with entirely freshly written material.

To all, hate on it if you must, but let's get real. The hate isn't because of the music as much as the performance level not being there yet.

All forms of art do it. Some call them tributes or callbacks, others call them rehash or reprises. Just don't call them rinse and repeat. That's for laundry day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

And people have stated their opinions every night that they feel it's busy. They aren't hating it. I even said its my favorite cavies show as a non cavaliers fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I disagree with most of what you wrote. And that's okay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

well said.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Cavies are looking at a possible 9th place finish. When is the last time they placed that low? 

Cavies will top Phantom and Cadets at the end. How's that for a prediction?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

Cavies will top Phantom and Cadets at the end. How's that for a prediction?

Nah

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Hate?  I see drum corps lovers discussing this year’s Cavies show in a pretty level headed fashion. I see no “hate” anywhere. BTW I wouldn’t know who John Rutter is but for that 89 Cavies show. I’m eternally grateful!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I wouldn't characterize BD 2017 as mostly re-hash, and I'd argue that BD 2007 had far more re-hash elements than 2017. 

But I think this further proves the point - you can celebrate an anniversary without over-doing the re-hash thing.

21 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Can you explain the intellectual effect of this program WITHOUT referring to past Cavaliers programs or the anniversary?

(And before you respond, I do not hate the Cavaliers.  I do not hate their 2023 program.  I do, however, hate the system that forces corps to impose some (pseudo) intellectual thematic design content, instead of simply presenting effective combinations of music and motion.)

That is what "hash" literally is - chopped up material.  You are both saying the same thing.

• Like 1