Broken Arrow 18 July 2023 - the Show, not the Accident (nor the Movie)

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That 2000 BD show Methods Of Madness was sick! The visual in the opener was ridiculous! No one moves like BD. 

If only their percussion was up to par that summer (not to mention the finals night debacle)

Oh right. The Hitchcock show and the drummer running on and everyone around me going “what is going on with that drummer?”  Honestly though it didn’t stick in my mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

Competitive "dynasties" are not exclusive to DCI, too. In every sport, there is a standard, or "blue blood(s)," as some call them, that epitomize the activity and are consistently at the top. And shock and awe ensues when the mighty are finally toppled every few years. Think  Norway at the Winter Olympics, etc.  

"Hello, one moment please.  Hey Sensioto, there's this guy from Finland on line three."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I remember last year at some of the early season shows in NorCal, when Gold beat BDB/SCVC for the first time in corps history................yea good luck to someone trying to convince me that scores and placements don't matter. The Gold kids were jumping up and down, hugging, crying, high fives everywhere as they finally toppled the big dawgs of Open Class. Even the some of the Gold staff couldn't remain composed as hard as they tried. And that propelled them for the rest of the season as they knew they could compete and go head-to-head at the very top of OC. 

This year, I know for a fact Mandarins are gunning for a top 5-6 finish in Indy. Will they get it? That remains to be seen, but it's motivating them in a big way. 

You are correct. Scores do matter. In fact they matter is 2 ways. There is the competitive ranking sense and also the fact that judges are acknowleging the work, performance and design put into the show. Even if you're the type of person that is not completely into scores it is nice when your hard work shows in the form of the score. Even if you did not win but were close to a corps in your tier. It makes the members feel good to be competitive and in the ball game if you will. Other times it is nice to beat a rival or a corps you have rarely beat. Even if you don't beat them all the time those little victories can keep the members pushing and achieving all summer. So there is a positive to competition, scores, and rankings. It also keeps the designers and teaching staff honest as they have to listen to the judges and continally adjust, tweak, rewrite and improve the show they give to the members. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

I do agree this is a competitive activity. I’m a competitive person and when I marched, I definitely wanted to win (I mean who wants to lose come on). But I’m just saying that I think people forget that this isn’t JUST a competitive activity. It’s also an entertainment and educational one at the same time. You hear the kids out there called “performers” a lot more often than “competitors” and I personally just think that’s because all you can do is go out and perform your own show the best you can. Unlike most other activities that involve competition, you can’t directly impact the group you compete against. All you can do is score as high as you can and hope it’s enough to keep you above the other groups.

I completely agree though that the scores and placement can definitely fire up and motivate groups (I’ve definitely been one of those in this situation too) but that’s great for the here and now and can maybe make a great story years down the line. But I’ll ask this question, would you rather be in a 2nd place group after finals that isn’t well received by the fans and forgotten about at the end of the season or be in a 4th place group that is beloved by the fans and discussed in peoples list of favorite ever shows 10 years from now? 

I think the difference between 2nd and 4th is a silver medal vs a finalist medal, so I bet a lot of those kids would prefer the silver. I do agree being part of a show that is universally loved and on people's top 10 of all time would also be a special feeling, but that's even more subjective than our scoring system and even more out of the MMs control, so not sure how much that would be on their minds. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Troopers are within striking distance of Cavaliers.  

Not since 1975.

I love BD's show, but I counted 12 dropped pieces of equipment last night.  As a guard person it drove me crazy.  I then took into account there was some wind, but 12 drops is just not going to cut it!  I am sure the next time will be better.  I thought BD's previous performance was much better!  I am pretty sure BD is going to win it all this year, but I have really learned to love each drum corps for what they offer.  My biggest worry is the rising cost of doing drum corps.  If things keep going up, I fear this activity I love will no longer be financially viable.  I really want to enjoy all the drum corps I can while it still exists!

7 minutes ago, jmc5682 said:

I love BD's show, but I counted 12 dropped pieces of equipment last night.  As a guard person it drove me crazy.  I then took into account there was some wind, but 12 drops is just not going to cut it!  I am sure the next time will be better.  I thought BD's previous performance was much better!  I am pretty sure BD is going to win it all this year, but I have really learned to love each drum corps for what they offer.  My biggest worry is the rising cost of doing drum corps.  If things keep going up, I fear this activity I love will no longer be financially viable.  I really want to enjoy all the drum corps I can while it still exists!

I saw BD live three times in SoCal earlier this month. I don't think the guard had 12 drops in the three shows combined. I think last night was an off night for them (remembering Ft Wayne show 2014 Felliniesque)

Fully expect BDs guard to bounce back in Tomball and San Antonio. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I saw BD live three times in SoCal earlier this month. I don't think the guard had 12 drops in the three shows combined. I think last night was an off night for them (remembering Ft Wayne show 2014 Felliniesque)

Fully expect BDs guard to bounce back in Tomball and San Antonio. 

But that makes two nights now we've been saying "huh off night" and referencing the Ft. Wayne show from 2014.  Uncharacteristic.

Yet...they mainain the score gap so :shrug:

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

But that makes two nights now we've been saying "huh off night" and referencing the Ft. Wayne show from 2014.  Uncharacteristic.

Yet...they mainain the score gap so :shrug:

I thought they had a really good run in Colorado as a full corps. I will admit Utah wasn't their best.