NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

bloo back on top, i cant help but be excited at the push and pull between bc and crown! so exciting to watch.

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You didn't see last year's show, did you?  Best ever. 👍

And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the drum line got a new cadence.  I love the old one but it's time to change it up a bit.

This is the same cadence we used back in the 80s (and earlier) when Truman was still our CO.  Some things should never change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deguello said:

I'm pretty sure that BD's score did not drop half a point. It decreased by 0.050 (not 0.50).

Thank you for catching my error.  BD might be the only corps who would never earn a drop in score, no matter how small.

12 minutes ago, TOC said:

Thank you for catching my error.  BD might be the only corps who would never earn a drop in score, no matter how small.

I think this is the first time since 2019. I noticed the final push ending changed a bit from Atlanta. 

53 minutes ago, TOC said:

A couple of days earlier they dropped 0.2 at the Masters of the Summer Music Games.

quick Nightbeat recap. Section 8 around 30 rows up.   Have not read the thread, so probably re-cover some things

Jersey Surf was fun and another seemingly perfect show for them.  Really seemed short at 8-9 minutes.  Light rain during the second half of the show

Great to see and hear Seattle back on the field.  As Rondo said, if any corps can handle rain, a corps from Seattle would be it.   Surprising to see they were as large as they were for the first season back

Genesis show is good and Chat.Phoenix was tounge-in-cheek enough to be entertaining.  Loved the Firebird references through-out the show.

Crossmen.  Bones in the house, and first time I noticed him giving a salute with the DMs.  Really enjoyed the show.  The props are well designed to move onto-off the field. 

Academy seemed to be a letdown after crossmen.   Not as complex or demanding show but well performed

Colts.  One of the best traditional marching shows on the field this year.   This was one I was hoping would impress me more in person compared to flo.  Unfortunately, it did not.   It is well performed, but just not one that grabs me

Cadets was another I was hoping to impress me, and this one did.   I am on-board with the show now and it does feel like a Cadets show from years past.   To me, I did not like the solo-ist, the sound seemed electronically modified from what was being performed. 

Blue Stars.  The cube that tried to melt on the field really confused parts of the corps the first half of the show. One member did a great job to move all equipment from the broke cube to another one. They recovered well the second half.  The show really rocks from the percussion feature on to the end.

Mandarins are all that.  Wow.   The crowd gave a tepid response when they were introduced, but the show won them over in a big way.   Seemed like there were some additions to the show that were really good.

Bluecoats - Bump was the song of the night.  The stamina of the members is really good.   They move all over the field with a lot a speed at times.  The poem just kills the flow after the opening number.

Crown balled is exquisite in person.   The color being added to the main performers really helps.   The rest of the show is well performed and loud.

Blue Devils -  This was the other show I was really hoping would impress me in person, and I was actually more disappointed, so I guess I am in the hate BD crowd.   Seemed to me the speakers were turned up to 11, and, I swear, half the time, I was hearing more horns from the speakers than from the field itself.   Did not seem as good as a run from the night before.  The first percussion break was hard to hear with the stupid foreign language narration.    They will not lose, they are just so strong in all sections, but this is not a show that will be in my long term listening rotation.

Overall, it was a great night of Drum Corps and love to see the continued growth and differences and complexity of the different shows all the corps put onto the field every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Gosh. I don’t think the Cadets have looked or sounded like that since 2015. 

It’s interesting that they seem to have 6 distinct movements (unless I miscounted) but it’s effective regardless! 

I don’t think there are more than 4 corps that have a music book as cohesive and entertaining to listen to as that one this summer! 

Also huge props to the Cadets staff for somehow making the hornline, battery, and drill look and sound like the Cadets of old!! That closer especially makes me so happy! 

Respectfully, I disagree that the show feels cohesive, I think it’s the opposite actually. The 6 movements of the show feel so segmented that they could almost have been from different shows.

There are also a lot of very extended drum moments that I personally feel takes away from any sense of pacing, and moments like the part 2 brass feature drone on without much musical momentum.

I think the most cadets feeling parts of this show is the opening brass hit and the random “cadets mode” 200bpm section (which is awesome!)

either way, this isn’t to detract from your opinion, just interesting that we see it in two very different ways

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Top 6 from last summer performed at both shows while the rest were split between the two shows

Got it

1 hour ago, gjramsey said:

quick Nightbeat recap. Section 8 around 30 rows up.   Have not read the thread, so probably re-cover some things

Jersey Surf was fun and another seemingly perfect show for them.  Really seemed short at 8-9 minutes.  Light rain during the second half of the show

Great to see and hear Seattle back on the field.  As Rondo said, if any corps can handle rain, a corps from Seattle would be it.   Surprising to see they were as large as they were for the first season back

Genesis show is good and Chat.Phoenix was tounge-in-cheek enough to be entertaining.  Loved the Firebird references through-out the show.

Crossmen.  Bones in the house, and first time I noticed him giving a salute with the DMs.  Really enjoyed the show.  The props are well designed to move onto-off the field. 

Academy seemed to be a letdown after crossmen.   Not as complex or demanding show but well performed

Colts.  One of the best traditional marching shows on the field this year.   This was one I was hoping would impress me more in person compared to flo.  Unfortunately, it did not.   It is well performed, but just not one that grabs me

Cadets was another I was hoping to impress me, and this one did.   I am on-board with the show now and it does feel like a Cadets show from years past.   To me, I did not like the solo-ist, the sound seemed electronically modified from what was being performed. 

Blue Stars.  The cube that tried to melt on the field really confused parts of the corps the first half of the show. One member did a great job to move all equipment from the broke cube to another one. They recovered well the second half.  The show really rocks from the percussion feature on to the end.

Mandarins are all that.  Wow.   The crowd gave a tepid response when they were introduced, but the show won them over in a big way.   Seemed like there were some additions to the show that were really good.

Bluecoats - Bump was the song of the night.  The stamina of the members is really good.   They move all over the field with a lot a speed at times.  The poem just kills the flow after the opening number.

Crown balled is exquisite in person.   The color being added to the main performers really helps.   The rest of the show is well performed and loud.

Blue Devils -  This was the other show I was really hoping would impress me in person, and I was actually more disappointed, so I guess I am in the hate BD crowd.   Seemed to me the speakers were turned up to 11, and, I swear, half the time, I was hearing more horns from the speakers than from the field itself.   Did not seem as good as a run from the night before.  The first percussion break was hard to hear with the stupid foreign language narration.    They will not lose, they are just so strong in all sections, but this is not a show that will be in my long term listening rotation.

Overall, it was a great night of Drum Corps and love to see the continued growth and differences and complexity of the different shows all the corps put onto the field every year.

Cube trying to melt is the comedy needed for how much had to be thought of on the spot to fix everything 😅 to not even notice that something happened until halfway through and didn't mess up the show is impressive 👏👏

• Like 2