Hotlanta On My Mind - July 29, 2023

2 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

My first time watching the Cavaliers since their opener.

They have put together a nice traditional show and spread out the field well. 

Their percussion is certainly clean but not attention grabbing to me. 

Drums are their Everything 

As unbelievably good the percussion is for the cavaliers, the show still feels weird. It’s superimposed between modern DCI feels and classical Cavaliers

• Like 3

Cavaliers intro is one of the things I love about them. Perfect sonority in the brass. The Rutter Gloria in the 2nd section is nice too but I want them to back off on volume and bring out the nuance of that brass line. They have the players. I think the visuals have come a long way. 

The 3rd section of the show confuses me. But when it leads into the percussion feature all I can do is SMILE. Like holy cow!! Percussion section is an absolute monster. Musically in the brass though I think what they are playing before and after the percussion feature is probably not the best material they could have used for a 75th Anniversary show. 

Somewhere from West Side Story is nice. This song does not need to peak at such a high volume. I think they can make this more tasty and subtle. 

They are getting into the diagonal front much better but the build to it out of Somewhere is not really developing. They need the music to seamlessly go from a more subtle ending of Somewhere and build with more development in the theme or a well crafted transition to that front. Overall the corps is really getting a lot better. I think they have way more talent that some may think. Obviously the percussion section is incredible. But they have a brass line that with better musical nuance and perhaps more of a subtle build through Somewhere into the closer could score a lot better. They can articulate well and have excellent tone when they are in control. I keep waiting for this show to pop. I definitely like a LOT of things about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, college-phan said:

".....This show (with the exception of the percussion ofc) feels like something AI would come up with if you told it to write a Cavaliers show. "

I can see the point but it just proves nostalgia isn't what it used to be......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ediblewaffles said:

As unbelievably good the percussion is for the cavaliers, the show still feels weird. It’s superimposed between modern DCI feels and classical Cavaliers

It’s a 75th anniversary show and very appropriate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crown brass.. it's like bathing in gravy.... MMMmmmmmm....

• Like 2