Hotlanta On My Mind - July 29, 2023

38 minutes ago, PR90 said:

And what is Soundsport?  Smaller units in smaller venues because the market would not support (read lack of demand and/or funds) full-sized corps pageantry on a football field.  Soundsport is being spun out of necessity not because the traditional activity is thriving.  I'm glad youth and older people have this as an outlet but it is not an equivalent.

I disagree and so do the hundreds doing soundsport to get exposure to the activity. You people complain that we don't have local based drum corps anymore but when it exists it's not good enough for you. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, crownisking said:

Yeah I actually loved that show too. Well, maybe not visually but musically for sure!

Not a BD homer but, I LOVED 88. They were hosed, and I never say that about BD.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

It’s CRAAAZY to *me*, personally, IMHO, that the beauty and groove of Bloo’s show doesn’t trump most complaints about what is effectively very little narration. I really don’t get letting the narration bother you that much. So many beautiful things have already happened by the time we even hear the poem. There are so many moods and shades and grooves in their music that I just don’t care about the narration at all — and when it becomes a remixed rhythmic bit early on that doesn’t even count as “narration” to me, because it’s clearly part of the music. (IDK if everyone realizes this but words can come with music; we still call it music). I don’t get it! 

Atleast for me, it’s not really a blanket “I hate all narration”

I just simply don’t think the narration in this particular Bloo show adds to the music in an effective way and is frankly a bit distracting. I wasn’t a fan of the narration in Bloo’s show last year either, nor the singing in Session 44. Same way I’m not a fan of the way BD has added all those break up effects to the singing that originally appears in the opener as the show goes on. And same way I wasn’t a huge fan of the narration in BD’s show in 2016 or Crown’s in 2022.

On the other hand, some shows I really don’t mind the narration at all. I really liked Blue Knights 2014, Crown 2013, and BD 2012, heck, I even liked Cadets 2012 despite how cheesy it was. Crown 2007’s narration in the closer was really effective too! I don’t think there’s a rhyme or reason to what narration I like other than just gut feel. 

@Big Bird’s claim that this type of criticism is only directed at the Bluecoats is nonsense. We have been hearing complaints about narration ages before Bloo decided to throw themselves into that particular ring

It’s just different strokes for different folks, there’s no need to generalize “Bluecoats critics” (Which I am far from. Their design direction since 2018 just hasn’t been my cup of tea) 

Yowza!  You'd think this debate would be played out by now.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I disagree and so do the hundreds doing soundsport to get exposure to the activity. You people complain that we don't have local based drum corps anymore but when it exists it's not good enough for you. 

When do we see regional or weekend soundsport tour & soundsport only events (with multiple soundsport units)?  What are DCI’s standard performance fees for soundsport units?  

25 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

"You people?"  It's the knee-jerk reaction to separate "we" from "you" that shuts down meaningful discussion.  The alleged "we's" are not entitled to any higher ground than the "you's."  Nowhere was it stated Soundsport was "not good enough" for what it is.  It was expressly stated it is a good thing that Soundsport exists.  But to then say it's existence proves the vitality of traditional drum corps is a fallacy.  It exists because of problems within the activity.  Why is there no Division III on the field in DCI?

15 Soundsport corps were listed as competing in 2022 according to the website.  I do not know the average size of these corps and may wrongfully assume it's about 25-30 members.  Someone will correct me if that's off-base.  If correct, that's about 450 competing members or the equivalent of 3 full-sized drum corps.  It's not necessary to put out a list of the number of corps that have gone inactive in the last 10 years is it?  The number of members lost to the activity will dwarf the numbers in Soundsport.

We can either allow the alleged "we's" to keep marching the activity towards darkness or we can work as "us" to boost its chance of survival.  The "you's" are often those who have built and run a drum corps, give the largest donations to corps, volunteer to sell souvies, work the chow trailer, handle all the administrative tasks, etc.  Maybe they actually have some wisdom and should be allowed a seat at the table.

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

These two started it 19 years ago. I HOPE THEY'RE HAPPY!

5bd2da44629f4b0706180155_A4cmLCJI1QMCyR_

Don’t forget Boston too!

59 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

That’s one take. Another is that it sounds like someone stuttering at 115 decibels through a gazillion powered arrays. 

Not taking shots at Bloo here, like their show, but I’d be surprised if either them(hornline+percussion) or their narration surpassed 100 db this year🙃

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yowza!  You'd think this debate would be played out by now.

You would think! It’s not even a debate anymore. It’s just people complaining about narration and supporters of said corps/show bonking people in the head in response