Hotlanta On My Mind - July 29, 2023

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I really hope you reconsider and don't leave. 

DCP is losing way too many cool people. 

It's bad enough we lost @Hook'emCavies 

Hopefully we don't lose you either. 

What? We lost Hook'emCavies?  

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Imma say sorry for being spicy on here last night (especially to you @Cappybara :bighug:)

I will be the first to admit (and ALWAYS have) that I have a Bluecoats bias and it has been pretty grinding reading comments about narration and costuming ALL season long when there is so much cool stuff in the show to talk about, especially with the changes last night (enhanced awesome impact in the opener and the end of part three, added dynamic shaping and solo work in the ballad, all the changes to Bump, and the new ending to name a few!).   

If those aren't for you, totally get it and it's a forum so people can talk about whatever they want, but at this point those things are there and there are so many other cool things in what they do to talk about!  

With that I think I'll just take the rest of the season off and enjoy what the corps are offering.  

No apology needed! We all have our favorite corps and shows and I myself can get fiesty when people constantly talk about the same old same old for my favorites. It's all understandable, everyone has an opinion. Some choose to present them respectfully, others do it in a less respectful manner which is when it becomes easy to become frustrated

I do hope you reconsider taking the rest of the season off, because as I said before, I really do value your inputs and insights, and I highly doubt I am alone in that! 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

Narration has been part of shows for at least ten years now, so I would not consider it a new or progressive idea. I do think there are fans who do not like narration because they do not believe it belongs in a drum corps show, but I also know others who embrace many contemporary practices who believe narration is a sign of a show’s weaknesses. If the story of a show cannot be told through music and design and needs narration, it is not a strong enough show. For me, narration works best when I hardly notice it.

Just one note: not all older fans on DCP who critique current practices want to get rid of all electronics and return to G-bugles. You can be old school at heart but still love contemporary drum corps. I may watch my nostalgic DVD’s over and over, but my vacation plans most years are scheduled around Allentown and Indy.

yeah, i am gonna go back on this. last night like i said was pretty #### terrible for me, and i was not really in a headspace or mood to be engaging in any kind of discussion, and i should not have said what i said about "butthurt older fans," because i know a lot of older fans do enjoy the modern dci era. what i said was inflammatory, rude, and thoughtless and i apologize. i was wrong here, and i need to look into things more before i comment on them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DAvery said:

What? We lost Hook'emCavies?  

Last post I saw, he was tired of people's rude comments, trolling, etc. 

Can't blame him. Hopefully he comes back. DCP isn't the same without him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Hate that, this forum and the activity needs the positivity real fans like him bring!

• Like 2

I'm not gone, but I'm working 🙂 I'm about to start a bunch of overnights at work. Shoot, I'll be at work in the next couple of hours.

Here's my thing. The trolls/haters on here kinda help remind me that my growth and goals are more important than to focus on what joe schmo says on here about my posts or who I am. 

I promise to post from time to time, but more or less... I need to focus on my goals. 

As my older cousin said (she's really like my big sister) this looks like a job for Superman.

Ok ok, I'm a dork. What can I say? Lol!!!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yeah we’ve def been hearing complaints about narration foreverrr. 

The only time I can think of since the dawn of electronics that vocals or amplification of any kind didn’t draw complaints was back when Cavies amp’ed the whistling and snaps in their 007 show. 

I just think narration is SO CORNY. In any form. I have not heard narration once that was compelling, interesting, or I felt was necessary. I honestly would have been embarrassed if we had narration when I marched. I just want to laugh at it. 

Now, I ain’t no old fogie, ok! I love the less military uniforms (body movement looks so much better), I love the props, I love electronics and I REALLY love trombones.

AND - I love the Bluecoats show. I love the props, I LOOOOOVE the uniforms, I love the silks, I love the music, I love Bump. I love it all, except the narration. It’s just too much IMO. The Garden of Love poem bit would have been enough, I would haven’t have minded it. 

Edited by Vuitton

Ya gotta take it all with a grain of salt. I’m trying to control my negativity, but I certainly don’t focus on others negativity. But this is art - art is subjective. We’re not all going to like or love the same things. We trash books we hate, we trash moves we hate, we trash albums we hate, we trash bands we hate, we trash books we hate, and we trash art we hate. I think people on here, 99% of us, are really levelheaded aren’t too bad in their critical assessments.

We all share a common passion - and that binds us. I hope he returns. He is missed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I'm not gone, but I'm working 🙂 I'm about to start a bunch of overnights at work. Shoot, I'll be at work in the next couple of hours.

Here's my thing. The trolls/haters on here kinda help remind me that my growth and goals are more important than to focus on what joe schmo says on here about my posts or who I am. 

I promise to post from time to time, but more or less... I need to focus on my goals. 

As my older cousin said (she's really like my big sister) this looks like a job for Superman.

Ok ok, I'm a dork. What can I say? Lol!!!

We’re all dorks. I’m sorry if I ever upset you. I know I’ve been critical of the Cavaliers show. For me, seeing corps like Cavies, Regiment, Madison, Vanguard and Garfield slip is tough, because they were the titans when I marched. So that’s where I’m coming from. I still wish it was these 5 in the top. Yes, I didn’t mention BD on purpose because I want them to slip, LOL. They’ve been up there too long. 

Just remember one thing - at least you’re not a Madison alum. 🙂

Edited by Vuitton
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

We’re all dorks. I’m sorry if I ever upset you. I know I’ve been critical of the Cavaliers show. For me, seeing corps like Cavies, Regiment, Madison, Vanguard and Garfield slip is tough, because they were the titans when I marched. So that’s where I’m coming from. I still wish it was these 5 in the top. Yes, I didn’t mention BD on purpose because I want them to slip, LOL. They’ve been up there too long. 

Just remember one thing - at least you’re not a Madison alum. 🙂

Yeesh, why are Madison alums catching strays 😭

• Like 2