Blue Devils -- Too good for the rest of DCI?

After watching all of the top 12 (be it via FLO) - is it safe to say that Blue Devils are just "too good" for DCI? 

After all.... many on here and in the activity outside of DCP seem to think they ( BD ) are on a different plane, far above any of the other competing corps.  Suffice to say that their titles are/have been earned so to speak and that they are simply 'untouchable/unbeatable'.

Having said this, what if.... ( "IF" - not that this would EVER be a thought )  BD were to take the route of 'Star of Indiana'... leave the competitive circuit, and teach ALL the lesser corps how it should be done!  Here is the recipe for success ... let us show you all how it's REALLY done!  I  mean if they are that superior - heck, I'd want to be shown by the BEST just how to win the judges over with spectacular design, great brass, percussion and colorguard.

Who doesn't want to aspire to be the BEST!  If the Blue Devils simply cannot be beat -- (and they have on occasion at finals in some years)  is that what DCI has become?  Multiple groups of aspiring hopefuls wanting, wishing and working to dethrone the current unbeatable team?  I remember my Grandfather saying to me once as a grade schooler about a pro baseball team that seemingly could not/would not loose .... said he lost interest as no matter how good the game was, he already knew the outcome. I myself would not imply that sentiment but then I think about that seemingly unattainable 'goal' to be better than .....? 

I guess that's why we all buy tickets.... travel long distances to see whatever corps perform... spend endless hours volunteering and $$$$ to sponsor and support Corps A, B or C in hope of seeing them (any corps) do just that?.  Let me be clear - I love this activity and EVERY group in it.  It's my lifeblood ... my enjoyment, not my financial livelihood . But I ask my self, if someone is apparently so good that they simply are the best of the best ... what room is there to grow outside of that?   Like any corps out there - they are there for their members and the fans.

Each corps has their own following... alumni, staff, current members and their families and the plain' ole fan and supporter, I know like in any sport / activity -- any team/group CAN be ( and have been ) beaten on any given night -- but in these other sports etc , there is no judging system.  So is there any true impartiality in the judging as we know it today?  I know, I know ---- "they call it like they see/hear it" or "They got robbed" etc, etc.  But it begs the audacity to ask "If someone is so far above others in same category (and they are not obviously) how do these other groups sustain themselves as far as getting to that level?.  I know how it was when I was involved.... we had to beat XYZ, or is it something more? Or, something less?

The activity had changed SO drastically in the past 10-15 years that every group has had to change with it.  So, why do we REALLY need scores anyway?  If the activity is for solely for the enjoyment and  enrichment of the marching members = which summarily winds up as the enjoyment of us, the fans and the spectators, why not be like audience participation and have them --- the tens of thousands (well maybe not that many) be the actual judges via fan voting?   But alas, I digress..... judges will be judges and corps will strive to meet their expectations  (whatever that may be on any given night) with every performance but should it ever be said that "they are untouchable" or "unbeatable"?  I leave that to you all ... or perhaps .... the judges who really are the one's who decides everyone's fate, or placement of sorts right?.

First of all . . . . YES, we do need a scoring system. A numerical system and not just Good, Better, and Best ratings.

Blue Devils are #### good. But, they kinda have been ever since DCI was formed. Being this good requires a strong organization, money, talent, and reputation. They’ve found a way to get that and keep it going.  Seems to me, Boston is on the same track. Carolina, Bluecoats, too!

RIGHT NOW, in my opinion, the next 3 podium placers at Indy are essentially tied. The corps placing 4-5 are worthy of replacing someone ranked above. So . . . what about those scores?

Scores are a cumulative opinion of a very small group of observers on any given night. Generally, they DO correctly get everyone within certain different levels of achievement and quality. The scores (really just ranks) keep everything and everyone interested. The surrounding chatter of each announced result is what keeps this “engine” running. We need scores as motivation.

Would not a more precise determination only be possible if all corps played the exact SAME music arrangement, using the very same instruments, marching the very same drill, equipment, and dance moves? All with the very same support budget and instructional staff.

Well, that ain’t happening!

The best we can do is expect a nightly summation by a small group of knowledgeable observers who hold that responsibility. Even then, this small group of evaluators changes, too!

. . .  and so, the post show chatter continues on. A GOOD THING !

P.S.  -  I think either Boston or Carolina will get a win over Blue Devils this year. Boston, in particular. They are always a huge favorite in Allentown and I believe they can play off that to great height.  We shall see.

Oh, yes . . .  my two favorite productions this year are Phantom Regiment and Mandarins. These are my 2023 Champions!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 3

BD has the success they do because of their operational model. They have a lot of resources, they have by far the most stable staff in DCI, and they prioritize the member experience. Doing those three things at a very high level has allowed them to monopolize the activity. It’s of course very difficult and takes a lot of time, but the blueprint is right there. From the things I’ve heard, I think a lot of corps could learn a thing or two from BD and subsequently see their competitive results have success. As I said in another thread, if you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaylogan said:

So far we’ve had:

1. Judges are not judging right

2. Top Corps are just following the same formula + too much guard spinning

3. BD is too good, and the music and performances of the other drum corps are not good enough on their own to keep my interest. Let’s kick BD out and pretend the second best is the best.

Each one with exponentially higher word count…

Y’all are on a wild one today!

To be fair though, at least this guy sounds sober. 

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My favorite is from last season when someone started a thread saying DCI should start a college recruiting type of deal, where we force these kids into 2-3 year contracts, which makes them stay with one corps, and if they want to change to a corps that finished higher in the standings, they have to sit out a year.

That way BD will never win again.

LMAO. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

My favorite is from last season when someone started a thread saying DCI should start a college recruiting type of deal, where we force these kids into 2-3 year contracts, which makes them stay with one corps, and if they want to change to a corps that finished higher in the standings, they have to sit out a year.

That way BD will never win again.

LMAO. 

Old school transfer portal 🤣🤣

• Haha 2