100.0. Could it happen?

Let me say first that I don't think it's likely. In fact, I think it would be more likely that a corps other than BD wins at finals. But I do think that BD has a remote shot at mythical perfection this year. 

Barring anything unforeseen, they will go into championship weekend in the last spot. They have been placing first in brass about half the time when all the corps are together. They are right there in guard and percussion.

The strength of other corps in guard, brass, and percussion gives the last group an opportunity to score tens, if the judges leave room up top, as they're supposed to, after amazing performances earlier in the show. BD has the chops to throw down in any caption any night. The perfect storm would put them in the most rarefied air possible.

What says the commentariat? Could it happen? Why, or why not?

Most likely percussion will keep them back from a perfect 100. Now trust me, I know that their percussion line this year is amazing and I love the book. But up to now they have not been leading. Boston has beat them a few times, and Cadets beat them tonight. The big thing is Cavaliers percussion in ON FIRE. Of course, I know that BD can rise to that level by Finals. They often do. But Cavaliers have been so overwhelming this year in percussion that it may make it difficult for BD to spring a 10. 

In just about everything else they will come close. It's all a matter of performance for them. I do think they can hit the 99+ mark, but it depends on how the captions play out. Carolina or even Boston are capable of winning brass. Cavaliers could win percussion. Bluecoats could get close in GE and Guard. It will be fun to watch. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

Unless the percussion line magically cleans up their very, very difficult and exposed book, I doubt it. Even brass is not really a guarantee this season, and they have some work to do in visual proficiency as well 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

But Cavaliers have been so overwhelming this year in percussion that it may make it difficult for BD to spring a 10.  

Based on where the Cavies might go on Finals Saturday, wouldn't the judge, unless they were perfect, only give them a 19.8?  Based on what happened on Friday, another corps could be better.

6 minutes ago, TOC said:

Based on where the Cavies might go on Finals Saturday, wouldn't the judge, unless they were perfect, only give them a 19.8?  Based on what happened on Friday, another corps could be better.

It could happen this way, though I tend to reject the idea that only the last corps that performs is allowed to get a perfect score in a caption or sub-caption. But more to the point it doesn't matter if Cavaliers get perfect score. If they beat Blue Devils then no chance for perfect score.  

Edited by jwillis35

100 is not perfection.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Looking at BDs two 99+ shows...........

Felliniesque scored 96.825 on August 1st, 2014.

1930 scored 96.300 on August 2nd, 2009.

So they gotta pick up the pace if it's going to happen. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Unless the percussion line magically cleans up their very, very difficult and exposed book, I doubt it. Even brass is not really a guarantee this season, and they have some work to do in visual proficiency as well 

Agree, on all 3 of these.

They will win, but there's a real possibility they may do so without taking  home the Zingali, Sanford or Ott. Any caption they don't win they will be top 2 or 3. Consistancy across all captions is their superpower.

• Like 6