Why is Jersey Surf even still a world class corps?

On 8/2/2023 at 1:49 PM, cixelsyd said:

What kind of a question is that?

Having seen Jersey Surf in action more than once this summer, I saw a whole lot of "trying" going on.  It was inspiring to watch.

Well, if the "results" are your concern, DCI has a trigger in their policies/procedures to eliminate WC corps who make too much of a habit of missing top 25.  But Jersey Surf made top 25 last season, and they appear on pace to make it again this season.

It’s an honest question. Pioneer was in World Class for many many years but seems they never intended to compete with other World Class corps, anyone who marched with them understood that. Eventually they were disbanded, when they were removed from world class the money train ended.

There are many terrific open class corps that seem to have similar constraints to Jersey Surf. If you have no realistic chance of ever making finals based on how you must run your program, is world class the best place for you?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s an honest question. Pioneer was in World Class for many many years but seems they never intended to compete with other World Class corps, anyone who marched with them understood that. Eventually they were disbanded, when they were removed from world class the money train ended.

There are many terrific open class corps that seem to have similar constraints to Jersey Surf. If you have no realistic chance of ever making finals based on how you must run your program, is world class the best place for you?

Such a bad take. With that thought Cascade, MC, and Genesis need to go back to Open class. Classes aren't just about money they also deal with content and demand. Also, pioneer folded because of allegations against the director who funded everything. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Such a bad take. With that thought Cascade, MC, and Genesis need to go back to Open class. Classes aren't just about money they also deal with content and demand. Also, pioneer folded because of allegations against the director who funded everything. 

No it’s not a take. It’s a question.

Music City is clearly a terrible comparison. They are already within striking range of finals and barely arrived on the scene. They are clearly investing in their future and are touring a normal schedule.

Genesis is new. They are struggling. Maybe they make it, maybe they don’t. But it seems they are trying.

Is Jersey Surf trying? I honestly do not know. I’m not trying to be mean or say they should consider moving to Open Class. I’m asking, at some point does it make sense to keep finishing at or near the bottom of world class while not even being able to commit to a consistent tour schedule?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

No it’s not a take. It’s a question.

Music City is clearly a terrible comparison. They are already within striking range of finals and barely arrived on the scene. They are clearly investing in their future and are touring a normal schedule.

Genesis is new. They are struggling. Maybe they make it, maybe they don’t. But it seems they are trying.

Is Jersey Surf trying? I honestly do not know. I’m not trying to be mean or say they should consider moving to Open Class. I’m asking, at some point does it make sense to keep finishing at or near the bottom of world class while not even being able to commit to a consistent tour schedule?

It is all about the money. World Class corps get paid appearance fees and Open Class don't.  Regardless how many shows Surf is in they get all benefits that other World Class receive including a share of the profits that may occur if DCI has a payout.

• Like 1

Haven't read the whole topic, but I'm sure many people said the same thing about Pioneer before they finally went under. They were consistently at the bottom of the pack, got beat by OC/D2 corps quite often, but they still worked their @$$e$ off and toured with the rest of the other WC/D1 groups. As long as JS is willing to put in the work, they can do what they want.

Edited by dciguy01
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dciguy01 said:

Haven't read the whole topic, but I'm sure many people said the same thing about Pioneer before they finally went under. They were consistently at the bottom of the pack, got beat by OC/D2 corps quite often, but they still worked their @$$e$ off and toured with the rest of the other WC/D1 groups. As long as JS is willing to put in the work, they can do what they want.

You are correct. I think all of your points have been covered, and most of us are not even sure why this ridiculous thread is still even active at this point. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, KVG_DC said:

They regionalized their tour this year to avoid going under financially.  That means they waiting until the tour got east enough to join in with the other World Class corps.  In the interim, they joined some Open Class and DCA shows to get feedback on their show.  I don't have a problem with that.  Had they tried to haul the whole way to San Antonio, they might not have had the money to continue THIS year let alone .

SMART!

And, if more corps in the past would have done the same thing instead of spending to try to keep up with the Jones’, we’d have a few more corps than we do today. 

• Like 4

I always thought World class should be earned and not given.

Please in the top 18-20 in Indy and you are a World Class corps. 

Once you were in, it does not mean you can't fall out.

It would make things a little more competitive and interesting.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If it works for the organization (especially in the financial area) and the members don’t have a problem with it…. Why should anyone else have an issue with it 🤷🏻🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1