Crum-ble on the hill in Allentown - August 4, 2023

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Relocate Atlanta to the Battlehawks stadium - Non NFL stadium that's hosted many marching band shows. 

Is there a reason that this area of the country doesn't have domes?

Probably a mix of older stadiums combined with less extreme weather than the Midwest and south

• Like 1

People seem to forget back in the 80s and 90s, we performed shows in the rain all the time, as long as it wasn't pouring or no lightning in the area. It's only now, in the World of beaucoup electronics, that shows now delayed or cancelled when there is even a sprinkle. 

Times have changed... But this show will still never move from Allentown.

Great discussion on Allentown, but in the hopes the show happens and the weather is decent for all performances, here's what I will be looking for tonight:

• BK vs. PC vs. Academy?
    • BK hasn't performed for a few days and PC had a disappointing score comparatively against Crossmen 2 days ago.  Can both BK and PC break 84 today to stay in the race.  What order will they finish at this event as they've traded it a few times this year.  Will we see any changes to either show ramping up to Indy?
    • Academy - they've been off the radar for a while but their scores are slowly ramping up and have had some good increases the past week.  With how many of the other 12-16 corps having 2 and 3 pt jumps in 1 competition, is this Academies turn to get back in the discussion?
    • PCs has recently and previously been beat based on percussion scoring 1.5 to 2 lower than BK and Crossmen.  They have reduced that to .5 vs. X-men but now have suffered in other categories, so can they get all of them going in the same show?
  • Troopers  vs. Blue Stars
    • Blue Stars have hit a scoring wall recently while Troopers and Colts are seeing their scores continue to go up.  Will this be the show Troopers pass them?  or based on the head to head will Blue Stars get that score bump and open up a gap
  • Cavaliers - Do they keep the momentum going?  It's a different night from the other corps competing for the 5-7/8 spot so we won't get a direct comparison but will Cavies be able to post a great score tonight to put pressure on the other 3.  Thinking anything more than 92 would really put them in serious 5-8 contention going into next week.  Right now they are a solid 8 with hints at pushing in.  I know others will say they are there already but I am not 100% sold on it yet.  Good thing is I'm not a judge and it doesn't matter what I think 🙂
  • Devils and Coats - 95 has been posted by a couple corps in the last 2 days so what will the spread be tonight.  Will Coats post another 95 and does this mean Devils go 96 or 97 before Indy even starts?  or is the gap now closer than the 1 pt we saw earlier from BD vs. BAC?
  • Weather Affect
    • If tonight happens but weather causes some issues (i.e. no tarps, color guard issues, delays, and etc.) will the same judging panel take that into account for tomorrow's scores knowing it will impact Indy, or can they dehumanize their thoughts and eliminate the weather impact from the previous night to score Saturday nights activity?
    • I know everyone will say what they should do, but humans are humans and while I think there are a few that challenge that premise, at the end of the day the judges are only human.
Edited by spacewill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I'm going to say some controversial things

1) I hate this regional set up. Find a dome and stop this two day garbage

2) this stadium is straight garbage. Worst venue I ever performed in.

Allentown is a cash cow for DCI and will be around forever.  You rated it has worst venue because you had to walk up a short hill to get to feed.   Fans have to walk up a hill three times harder to get to their seats. 

1 minute ago, dcifanforlife said:

Allentown is a cash cow for DCI and will be around forever.  You rated it has worst venue because you had to walk up a short hill to get to feed.   Fans have to walk up a hill three times harder to get to their seats. 

Implying my reasons without actually knowing. I love this website. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Carrier Dome Syracuse. Great domed stadium-should not be that expensive to rent, as it is a college stadium. No more weather worries for DCI's biggest Regional. Comfortable club seats. No more being squeezed in like sardines on bleacher seats.  Turn it into a one day event, like San Antonio, which would cut the rental cost significantly. 

Logistical and audio nightmare 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well Atlanta isn't even the same location now. Two completely different locations and yes I hate it. 

Domed stadiums don’t grow on trees. 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

No because it's relevant. Tonight's show will most likely be rained out again which has happened in the past. It's an unfair advantage for a regional to only get half the groups scored So there needs to be a plan B for when this happens. 

Tonight’s show per WFMZ shows possible rain before it starts and maybe some after 9. Unless it’s 18 levels of monsoon at best it’d be delayed.

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Okay fine. I'll go win the lottery and pay to renovate the stadium would that help make Allentown better?

bless you but you may as well just give your winnings to me if you really want to be that reckless. i need renovating too

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Haha 1