Crum-ble on the hill in Allentown - August 4, 2023

There is a whole other thread about moving Allentown, as there is every year. Can we keep that conversation in that thread and not make this thread another iteration of that discussion??

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, old drmmjr said:

There is a whole other thread about moving Allentown, as there is every year. Can we keep that conversation in that thread and not make this thread another iteration of that discussion??

No because it's relevant. Tonight's show will most likely be rained out again which has happened in the past. It's an unfair advantage for a regional to only get half the groups scored So there needs to be a plan B for when this happens. 

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

No because it's relevant. Tonight's show will most likely be rained out again which has happened in the past. It's an unfair advantage for a regional to only get half the groups scored So there needs to be a plan B for when this happens. 

Soooo you want the Eastern Classic to move west? Not the Truman Show where it only rains on Truman. If it rains in Allentown chances it's also raining in the eastern region.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Plan B.  Let’s see

Indoor standstill- judge music captions?

Big circus tent (DYI indoor stadium)  - hard to set up quick (assuming they even make one big enough). 

Otherwise lateral to Detroit or (after 2025) Nashville. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further pontificating
  • Like 1

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Plan B.  Let’s see

Indoor standstill- judge music captions?

Big circus tent (DYI indoor stadium)  - hard to set up quick. 

Otherwise lateral to Detroit or (after 2025) Nashville. 

While I'd love Detroit they don't have the warmup space for that many groups since it's in downtown Detroit not like cowboy stadium nowhere near Dallas. 

If Buffalo puts a roof but not a dome that can be a future idea. 

Plan B could be as simple as an off day for all competition and if it gets rained out all groups perform Sunday in place of a rained out day. 

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

While I'd love Detroit they don't have the warmup space for that many groups since it's in downtown Detroit not like cowboy stadium nowhere near Dallas. 

If Buffalo puts a roof but not a dome that can be a future idea. 

Plan B could be as simple as an off day for all competition and if it gets rained out all groups perform Sunday in place of a rained out day. 

The last time a rain out happened since 2010 was 2018 for one night. So yes that qualify a change a venue because that is just unacceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

42% chance of precipitation.  

Because it is more than a 41% chance, but not quite a 43% chance.  

I'm seeing 60%... which is more than 41% AND 43%. 

But meteorologists are wrong 125% of the time, so I'm staying positive. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

The last time a rain out happened since 2010 was 2018 for one night. So yes that qualify a change a venue because that is just unacceptable.

That may be.

As I posted, my wife and I have been going to the Easts since the late 80's.

There may have only been 1 "Rain Out" since 2010 ,but there have been a number of times when they delayed the start time by, in some cases a couple of hours because of weather.

There have also been a number of times when there have been significant weather delays during the show, including at least a couple of times  when they had to empty the stadium.

Last year was strange in that they delayed the start on Friday for lightning.

Yet, they they let the show keep going when there were lightning flashes all over the sky.

Also, even though there may have been only 1 "Rain Out" several times, after lengthy delays, the remaining corps only did "Standstills".

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

BITD Sunday afternoon raincheck days were very common. This would require flexibility in corps scheduling, stadium contracts, housing contracts, etc. Also, audience flexibility regarding hotels, flights, etc.

1973 US Open went on day after and we all made it to Whitewater okay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

That may be.

As I posted, my wife and I have been going to the Easts since the late 80's.

There may have only been 1 "Rain Out" since 2010 ,but there have been a number of times when they delayed the start time by, in some cases a couple of hours because of weather.

There have also been a number of times when there have been significant weather delays during the show, including at least a couple of times  when they had to empty the stadium.

Last year was strange in that they delayed the start on Friday for lightning.

Yet, they they let the show keep going when there were lightning flashes all over the sky.

Also, even though there may have been only 1 "Rain Out" several times, after lengthy delays, the remaining corps only did "Standstills".

It may be BUT IT BE!!!!