Crum-ble on the hill in Allentown - August 4, 2023

2 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Kind of a rough season that way. Maybe not any different than any other season, but it is hitting me harder this year. If people need to log out to enjoy what little remains of this season, by all means do it, but just know you and others will be missed.

Nobody will miss my snark 😅

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I remember your spreadsheets!  I almost had to quit reading them because you were about 99% accurate on the score +/- two tenths of a point, show after show! 

There was nothing to look forward to, you were eerily correct, always predicting the outcomes before they happened!  🤣

That would have been someone else I think because I didn’t publish mine.  But yeah, the adherence of scores to their trajectory was pretty remarkable, and definitely shaped my perspective on how judging works and what to expect.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Metalbinky said:

It probably won’t matter as I don’t think this will happen but, this is what I heard:

If a corps wins all captions at finals, they are given a Black Championship ring to designate the accomplishment. If a corps goes undefeated through the season and also wins every caption at finals they are given a white championship ring.

So, tonight’s score is in play. Though the likelihood of winning all captions is very low.  But if by some miracle BD runs the table (of head to heads), and wins all captions but loses this competition on a technicality, then this would be discussed in more places than DCP.  All hypothetical at this point. Haha

I had no idea of any of this. Thanks for sharing. The odds of a caption sweep seem awfully remote to me this year - the competition is so intense. The caption and overall placement battles are great for us as fans, as the corps strive to max out their shows. I do like reading the different perspectives on the split regionals and appreciating how much the season means to the fans. Here’s to a great season finish to all!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I had no idea of any of this. Thanks for sharing. The odds of a caption sweep seem awfully remote to me this year - the competition is so intense. The caption and overall placement battles are great for us as fans, as the corps strive to max out their shows. I do like reading the different perspectives on the split regionals and appreciating how much the season means to the fans. Here’s to a great season finish to all!

Yeah I think the odds of a caption sweep are slim to none, not with the great guards, brasslines and percussion lines we are seeing at the top, and especially not with Cavies percussion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna probably log off during shows because last night things started rubbing me the wrong way. 

I just keep it positive and ignore homers and people who come on to speak absolutes!  I don't love every show but I see positives in each one. And while I don't always agree with what's happening with scoring or opinions being shared;  my thought is "it doesn't matter cause everyone has their beliefs and motivations".  DCP has 90% great participation and 10% people who either purposely want to cause disruption or who are genuinely just not pleasant people.  I choose to engage with the 90%.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Metalbinky said:

It probably won’t matter as I don’t think this will happen but, this is what I heard:

If a corps wins all captions at finals, they are given a Black Championship ring to designate the accomplishment. If a corps goes undefeated through the season and also wins every caption at finals they are given a white championship ring.

So, tonight’s score is in play. Though the likelihood of winning all captions is very low.  But if by some miracle BD runs the table (of head to heads), and wins all captions but loses this competition on a technicality, then this would be discussed in more places than DCP.  All hypothetical at this point. Haha

DCI has nothing to do with Championship rings and there’s no design rules.  Each corps designs their own after the season through services like Jolesh and members typically pay for them (usually $150-250) on average.  Blue Devils can design a black or white ring no matter what the final recap shows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

DCI has nothing to do with Championship rings and there’s no design rules.  Each corps designs their own after the season through services like Jolesh and members typically pay for them (usually $150-250) on average.  Blue Devils can design a black or white ring no matter what the final recap shows. 

Ok, I’m only relaying what I heard.  But I guess you know differently.  Now I’ve heard something different.  Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

That would have been someone else I think because I didn’t publish mine.  But yeah, the adherence of scores to their trajectory was pretty remarkable, and definitely shaped my perspective on how judging works and what to expect.

Fair enough.  It was more than a few years ago and my feeble memory is just that much more feeble now. 

I do remember folks here on DCP joking that the judges before the show were checking in here first to study the spreadsheet so they would know what scores to award.

Man, didn't we have enough conspiracy theories here without that one!  😄

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Cavies are likely to win percussion. And Boston will probably win guard. 

The last time Boston beat BD in guard was July 28th. Just saying.