Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

2 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

I can’t believe this is really a topic on here. Really? Enjoy your corps and celebrate your win. 

Me either, but I'm bored enough to engage.

• Sad 1

I get this sentiment. I don't "enjoy" a lot of shows, but being a drum corps alum, I know how much work and dedication it takes throughout a season, and today's kids are amazing and way more talented than I ever was.

So I give a standing ovation to everyone to show my appreciation for them whether I like the show or not. 

But I don't expect everyone to feel the same.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Change the year to 1993, substitute " Star of Indiana " for " BD " on this thread topic, and its pretty much identical.

I think the fan reaction to Star and Blue Devils is different. Full disclosure: I enjoyed Star though not the 1993 show, which in all fairness I did not see live. When I did see the show on a PBS broadcast, it was probably mid-fall or whenever the broadcast was shown and I already knew the results. I’m also in the “sour grapes” camp regarding their departure and I’m sure when I spoke with people in the stands at Foxboro in 1994, I believed Star would come crawling back to DCI. You can debate the sour grapes, but I’ll have to admit being wrong about crawling back.

As I think back to thirty years ago and Star’s departure, they were loved by fans as they moved up, especially the circus show, “Porgy and Bess,” “Balthazar’s Feast” and 1991, which is still one of the greatest shows ever. 1993’s show was seen as a threat. However no matter how good or how entertaining, they were always the corps that money built, especially where so many corps, including iconic corps like the 27th Lancers and Bridgemen, folded during their time. If they became a dynasty, they probably would have faced opposition and would never gain the stature other champions had, namely that of Cadets, SCV, and Cavies or the popular acclaim of Crown and Bloo. We’d probably hope Blue Devils would give them a run for their money.

I first saw Blue Devils in 1976, less than a week before they won their first title. At that time they were the corps to watch soon to be the corps to beat. They went back to the corps to watch, some years placing 4th or 5th, then the corps to beat which is where they have been for about twenty years. I do think if they did not win so often, or if they had more years where they came from behind, audiences might feel differently about them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeBD said:

BD is putting an amazing product on the field and dang near every corp has gotten a standing ovation except for the blue devils. I’m between the 30s i would say maybe 10 percent stood   

it really was disgusting and people need to grow the eff up.  I root for all corps cause the kids deserve it.  

Phantom was always my "hotdog" corps. They were in the top 5, and I couldn't stand sitting through their shows. If you don't like the product, why would you reward it? I'm certain the Gold Medal will fulfill the kids more than getting the claps.

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

They are the Yankees of DCI in the pre-salary cap era. If you’re a Yankees fan you love it, if you’re the Rays…not so much.

Right. Except in sports there's no question why rivals (or anyone else) don't love it for the Yankees.

At this point in drum corps, we're very close to condemning people as haters on poor, innocent, young members when they don't add to an existing standing O. I sure hope members aren't getting pipi-hearted over such trivial things. Grown adult fans getting upset is ridiculous.

It puts hair on your chest to play for a dead audience. Only a partial standing O? Please. Once members leave drum corps, if they continue performing, they'll learn quickly how special it was to have a guaranteed audience in every town they played, no matter how they were received.

Add this to the pile of evidence that competition is antithetical to appreciating the hard work and creativity happening on the football field.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

Yeah and then you have to wait ten minutes for the food to be ready despite a published intermission time 

With DCI centralized, there is no longer a need for the stadium to provide exceptional service. It's what happens at every Colts game. Things might be different if DCI rotated and the stadium management had to attract DCI back. The UW got complacent, too. 

Eh, who cares? If I was a BD member, I’d wear it as a badge of honor that a certain portion of the old crowd at Lucas Oil is grumbling about their show while all the younger crowds throughout the rest of the season gave them a ton of love. Heck, even in 2012 and 2013 when they were getting crickets from nearly everyone, the boos and silence they received were just an admission by the audience that they did not understand the excellence on the field. I doubt the BD members care at all

• Like 3