Dci fans should be ashamed of themselves

47 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

We all know that if you cheer for the Cowboys or Yankees or ManU, you probably do so because you like cheering for the most popular brand.

You also know that a lot of people won’t like you, and won’t be attending the Super Bowl, MLB or Cup parade. Comes with the territory.

In DCI these are kids and no matter how much your loyalties get you riled up, you should never openly diss a kid. I remember days when people booed BD. That was the era when a certain corps played Pop Goes the Weasel when a fellow corps won a medal to mock their book. Thankfully we aren’t there anymore.

IMHO adults should show respect for all the performers regardless of their corps or final ranking. Demanding a standing ovation seems kind of…silly. 

Oh? I’ve never heard this before, what corps played Pop goes the weasel? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah, but hard work and dedication goes into every form of art. I see people at the theater all the time not standing. It's fine. 

Whenever you see someone not standing, you can't jump to conclusions. Not saying you are, of course. My mother, for example, she loves DCI. She's 83. If she went she would not be able to get up and down after every corps. There are other people that may have issues too.

Someone called me rude because I said if I were at Indy I wouldn't have shown up Thursday until the top 15. That is because I have pain if I sit too long and even attending finals would be brutal. God, yesterday would have been excruciating if I were there and stayed for scores.

I guess I am a soft touch for young performers in the arts. I will always cheer like crazy for amateurs at the end of the performance. But true, if I am going to a professional production, they have to pull me up out of my seat with a genuinely moving performance.

Awesome your mom loves DCI! I am always impressed by the older fans who make their way to the stadium. Thursday and Friday are endurance tests.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I guess I am a soft touch for young performers in the arts. I will always cheer like crazy for amateurs at the end of the performance. But true, if I am going to a professional production, they have to pull me up out of my seat with a genuinely moving performance.

Awesome your mom loves DCI! I am always impressed by the older fans who make their way to the stadium. Thursday and Friday are endurance tests.

Absolutely. I will always cheer. 

It is awesome she loves it - she asked me at least 6 times in Paris who was leading. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh? I’ve never heard this before, what corps played Pop goes the weasel? 

Boston Crusaders: '68, '69, '70 era. Not sure which year, Jerry Shellmer drum instructor.

Corps was marching a set of bells against American Legion/VFW rules. 

Drums solo built around Pop Goes the Weasel melody.

Drum solo was performed WITHOUT the marching bells at Nationals but you could still

pick out the melody from the battery score rhythmically. 

Edited by denverjohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I call it BD fatigue and I get it. But these kids are working just as hard as any corp kids are and they are real good performers. Lots of them go on to teach themselves. As with any fans sports ect you a few who “hate”. I use that word because it’s true. B D knows they’re not right now fan favorite for the fact they win all the time. Is it their fault they’re so good? 

My first thought when I saw the tepid fan reaction (on FLO Marching) was that it was too abstract for the casual fan. I’ve seen this before in the shows I’ve attended in Massillon.  Then I read this and now wonder what percent of the finals crowd is hard-corps DCI as opposed to casual, local fans. 
Anybody?

Just now, DFA1970 said:

I call it BD fatigue and I get it. But these kids are working just as hard as any corp kids are and they are real good performers. Lots of them go on to teach themselves. As with any fans sports ect you a few who “hate”. I use that word because it’s true. B D knows they’re not right now fan favorite for the fact they win all the time. Is it their fault they’re so good? 

" BD fatigue "  that is real... They keep winning and everyone else keeps losing. They earn all their championships because they are the best.  They bring in the best mm's from wherever. Others keep losing their best mm's. They deserve all of their accolades.  There is no disrespect, it is just that one cannot maintain enthusiasm and be overwhelmed by the same corps winning every year, while down in the ranks... corps wonder will it ever change and how long can they keep chasing the rabbit......

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

It's the staff's fault for continuing to design shows that don't resonate with the masses. Sorry for those who disagree or don't want to hear it, but how many people have to say it before you believe that their show designs tend to be difficult to get into? 

7 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Boston Crusaders: '68, '69, '70 era. Not sure which year, Jerry Shellmer drum instructor.

Drum solo was performed WITHOUT the marching bells at Nationals but you could still

It was 69. I saw fonals in Philly. It was a shame the VFW powers that be made them drop the bells. 

Their other drumsolo, the 7/8 Unsquare Dance, did not fare as well without bells. It was great WITH them most of the summer.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

2 minute mark right after Conquest:

There are now a handful of orgs that can compete with BD every year—though sadly SCV was one of them until this season. Still, the resources at the hands of those who run the BD org are vast, diverse and somewhat unique. Regardless of how good Bluecoats, Crown and Boston are, BD has two decades of winning behind them. They can sign almost anyone auditioner they want to sign. This makes it possible to field the most demanding technical shows without dot charts.

It’s simply not a fair fight. It’s not BDs fault, for sure. But let’s be honest and say nine times out of ten BD is going to win because they are literally playing with a stacked deck.