2023 DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

51 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Did anyone else return from Indy with the wonder gift of COVID? I'm seeing on social media that several folks returned positive & it was starting to spread in some of the corps at the end of the weekend. I know we're seeing cases in our local school system & community.  Starting my 5th since testing positive.  Stuff's gettin' old! 🤒 

I haven’t heard that anyone in my section arrived home with Covid. However, I have heard more than a few people who have traveled by plane to and from East coast destinations over the past few weeks arrive home and find they have Covid a few days later. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Did anyone else return from Indy with the wonder gift of COVID? I'm seeing on social media that several folks returned positive & it was starting to spread in some of the corps at the end of the weekend. I know we're seeing cases in our local school system & community.  Starting my 5th since testing positive.  Stuff's gettin' old! 🤒 

I didn't contract covid from being at DCI. Well I suppose unless I haven't had any symptoms. Unfortunately thing has to keep spreading so the society as a whole can build up a tolerance and be able to fight it. 

• Like 1

I took every vaccine and booster for covid, flu,  pneumonia. Caught Covid anyway in 2022 July, but mild case of it and was fine.

But forgot to get the shingles shot. Came down with bad case of shingles on my lower  back this April. Painful as heck. Thought it was over in May when the rash and painful blisters went away with natural time and healing. Wrong. I developed what is called Postherpetic Neuralgia in the blisters site. This is nerve signals from the brain misfiring and thinking you still have shingles in the blisters area ( read that PHN is not uncommon for those with post shingles with those over age 55... like me). Pain was worse than the shingles.  Awful.  Anyway, Doc gave me a couple of pills for the PNN.  Made me sleepy, but did the trick in a few weeks. Pain starts going away in early July., last month .But then wife gets covid in mid July,  ( mild case ) but  I'm thinking, " Oh Man, just what I need now... another bout with Covid ". But miraculously  I somehow didnt get Covid in July. I think most catching Covid now are mostly getting mild cases of it, but who knows if another stronger strain comes down the pike later with it. 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I didn't contract covid from being at DCI. Well I suppose unless I haven't had any symptoms. Unfortunately thing has to keep spreading so the society as a whole can build up a tolerance and be able to fight it. 

3 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I took every vaccine and booster for covid, flu,  pneumonia. Caught Covid anyway in 2022 July, but mild case of it and was fine.

But forgot to get the shingles shot. Came down with bad case of Shingles on my  back this April. Painful as heck. Thought it was over in May when the rash went away with natural time and healing. Wrong. I developed what is called Postherpetic Neuralgia in the rash site. This is nerve signals from the brain misfiring and thinking you still have shingles in the rash area ( heard PHN is not uncommon for those with post shingles with those over age 55... like me). Pain was worse than the shingles. Ugh.  Anyway, Doc gave me a couple of pills for the PNN.  Made me sleepy, but did the trick. Pain goes away by July. But then wife gets covid in July, and I'm thinking, " Oh Gawd, just what I need now... another bout with Covid ". But miraculously somehow didnt get Covid in July. I think most  catching covid now are mostly getting mild cases of it, but who knows if another stronger strain comes down the pike later with it. 

I made it almost 3 years with zero upper respiratory issues even when traveling to Indy in 2021 & 2022.  Also past due for my booster as I was waiting for the upgrade due in September.  I've also been researching the shingles vaccine.  After your story, I'm looking for a cocktail this fall for the flu, covid, shingles, & I guess, rsv after seeing all of those commercials. 😂 

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I made it almost 3 years with zero upper respiratory issues even when traveling to Indy in 2021 & 2022.  Also past due for my booster as I was waiting for the upgrade due in September.  I've also been researching the shingles vaccine.  After your story, I'm looking for a cocktail this fall for the flu, covid, shingles, & I guess, rsv after seeing all of those commercials. 😂 

Yes . Shingles vaccine is now done in a 2 step process . I tell everyone that asks , if you are over age 50 , and havnt got your shingles vaccine , to make sure to do so . It’s really a personal choice re shingles as it’s not contagious(  unless one touches the blisters .. but still a rare transmission ). But believe me , if you are over age 50 in particular , you do not want to get the shingles . Shingles can become a painful long term nightmare for many of those that get the shingles at age 50 and older . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone on an immunosuppressive med I've kept up with the boosters. New one coming next month.  I've been one of the lucky ones still "in the game" so to speak and haven't gotten it despite some definite exposures.  I might have "the gene" or something.  

A co-workers got shingles last year or so and I was like "ok yup, I'm getting my shingles shots".   I remember when my grandmother got them and it was literally the ONLY time I remember seeing that woman cry.  

FYI the Shingrex shots threw me harder than any Covid or Flu vax did with the sore arm thing.  But totally better to have a sore arm for a day or two than have what I saw my coworker go through 

• Like 3

Had all of the shots and boosters and still got covid twice. First 2020 mild, second 2021 was worse. Left me with pneumonia and COPD. Now i need regular pneumonia boosters. Had shingles in 2012 and it was a long hell. Got Shringrix vax a couple of years ago.  Hurts, but, unlike the shingles, sore arm is better in a day or two.  I know you can mix covid and flu vaxes but pretty sure you need a couple of weeks between them and shingrex (which is two shots 1-2 months apart). Get all of the shots. Covid is mild right now but starting to run rampant again, so it will continue to mutate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

FYI the Shingrex shots threw me harder than any Covid or Flu vax did with the sore arm thing. 

For me.........the series of Anthrax shots I used to get when I was Active Duty. Every time I got that shot, I was on my death bed for the following 48-72 hours. 

2005 we was gearing up for a deployment to Iraq, and we got the Smallpox shot. Medical tells you to not touch it and to wash your hands THOROUGHLY if you do. This guy in my unit touched his and then he rubbed his face.............His face ended up looking like the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers. Medical had to isolate and quarantine him. One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

For me.........the series of Anthrax shots I used to get when I was Active Duty. Every time I got that shot, I was on my death bed for the following 48-72 hours. 

2005 we was gearing up for a deployment to Iraq, and we got the Smallpox shot. Medical tells you to not touch it and to wash your hands THOROUGHLY if you do. This guy in my unit touched his and then he rubbed his face.............His face ended up looking like the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers. Medical had to isolate and quarantine him. One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. 

Yeah. I've never had to get the anthrax shots but a friend of mine who worked in a bio research lab did and she said they were just the most horrible shots you could ever get.

• Like 1