The Cadets 2024

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I just had a little giggle. In 1979, 27 had 20 sops. Two were music majors. 

Laughing thinking of my 1979 Sr corps Baritone line: 1st were music majors 2nd were white collar workers or college students 3rd were blue collar workers.

We drove the guy working with us nuts. He finally would tell the firsts what he wanted in musical terms. Then it was “for the rest of you guys…” then he’d sing what he wanted. Just to yank his chain we would give an exaggerated head nod and “OHHHHH!!!”. 
I still remember him explaining something in musical terms that were Italian. Then I hear from the thirds: “what the hell is that?”. “I don’t know, think he’s telling us what he had for dinner last night”. Yeah we were “different” but it worked for us

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, mcjordansc said:

How are the Cadets doing financially? Are they back on solid ground? Money seems to be the only thing that can hold back the top corps these days. 

Whelp. Probably my fault for asking. 

On 10/15/2023 at 9:32 PM, corps8294 said:

The days of "keep the kids off the streets" drum corps have been gone for decades, now. I'd even venture to guess that a majority of the membership of the the top corps are all music, performance, and dance majors. I don't think you would find anyone who is marching in the Blue Devils who is going into a career outside of music, dance, and the like. It has become a niche activity that caters to a specific group of individuals. 

I know this to be false.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I just had a little giggle. In 1979, 27 had 20 sops. Two were music majors. 

We had a lot more convicts or eventually-to-become convicts in the corps I marched than music majors. 

I turned out OK, but I do recall Dad telling his friends when I was in college that his son was majoring in f-ing up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

We had a lot more convicts or eventually-to-become convicts in the corps I marched than music majors. 

I turned out OK, but I do recall Dad telling his friends when I was in college that his son was majoring in f-ing up. 

Our hornline size on any given weekend was sometimes determined by who was or wasn’t in jail.  

• Haha 4