Bluecoats 2024

1 hour ago, Super Don-O said:

Since Crown had great success with an Arthurian show this year, perhaps Bluecoats will consider doing something Napoleanic. A real change of course. They could do the Eroica Symphony and of course 1812 Overture, maybe throw in some French peasant songs. Napoleon crowning himself Emperor

Just heard back from their design team. They loved the idea but decided to take to take it in a slightly different direction...

Abba Waterloo GIF - Abba Waterloo Napoleon - Discover ...

I kid. I kid. Love you Bloo. Keep being you.

Ok - Show called Stockholm Syndrome.   Heavy metal fan hates Abba.  His job transfers him to Sweden, where all the music is, of course, Abba.  After a tortured night, with nightmares (Abba in a minor key), he embraces his destiny and decides he loves Abba. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok - Show called Stockholm Syndrome.   Heavy metal fan hates Abba.  His job transfers him to Sweden, where all the music is, of course, Abba.  After a tortured night, with nightmares (Abba in a minor key), he embraces his destiny and decides he loves Abba. 

As a Swedish speaking person. I am on board with this idea.

• Opener: Arrival
  • 2nd movement: Kisses Of Fire
  • Ballad: Hasta Manana (in minor key, as suggested)
  • 4th movement: Man In The Middle
  • Closer: Dancing Queen/The Winner Takes It All

I will fly to Indy next year if this happens hahaha.

Edited by Ranitidin
Typo.
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The trumpets already know Dancing Queen!

Anyone have an update on the MM who fell? I didn't see any other mentions once the finals run was over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Illiana....did you spend some time in the garden of love sampling it's mystical treats before you had this vision of hell?

• Haha 2

Why not go into heavy into 80s New Wave or do punk rock show?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:55 PM, ContraFart said:

What I mean is to beat BD, become more like them. 

so only march while playing whole and half notes, stand still while playing difficult sections of music, if you are moving while playing something more than whole and half notes, then make sure it is in half time, and if all else fails run somewhere in a random blob as opposed to holding any type of form during the movement.  Yeah no thanks,  I would rather watch my corps challenge it's members with multimetered music while moving and being completely innovative and unique, and still pulling it all off at as high a level as the corps that does have of what we are doing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:58 PM, DrumManTx said:

I’ll take 20 more years of second rather than become more like BD.  I don’t mean that as a slight to BD, Bluecoats have developed what is THEM.  They have a clear identity and to see them ditch that to win would break my heart.  They need to keep refining what has brought them the consistent success they’ve seen since 2013.  That’s what BD has done over decades. 

Always worth a look at what wins and what you can learn from it but don’t sell your soul…….

and hey this year we did take a trick out of BD's drill design with the large tight form in the ballad moving as one forward across the field to emphasise the music, just like BD does every year and gets so much credit for.  We did itand showed its not that hard to do.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:04 AM, ContraFart said:

This is where we are at an impasse. I thought Bluecoats body movement and vocabulary was equal to BD this year. I think I am beginning to understand that BD just shows more different elements, which you can more easily do when you break free from the conventional drill book. 

equal?  I thought it far surpassed it.

• Haha 1