Bluecoats 2024

Pretty typical Bluecoats thread. Started hot and then went dead lol. Not necessarily mad about it, because it's technically a good thing.

But in other news, Bloo posted a video to their socials the other day of their Ohio Camp brass auditionees playing "At The Door" by The Strokes, with vocalist Dave Vives. Pretty cool video and some impressive brass sounds coming from a first round audition camp. I saw it shared on reddit, so I figured I would drop it in here.

I doubt this has anything to do with their 2024 show, however. It sounds like they just wanted to provide a cool experience for their camp attendees. But who knows? I did listen to this song and a few others by The Strokes and the music sounds right up their alley. I guess we'll see...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

At this time 10 years ago, the Bluecoats design team was working on TILT, the show that started their impressive run of seven medals in eight competitive seasons. As far as the last 10 years are concerned, that run is second only to the success of BD.

It also marks 10 years since I started following drum corps, as I was introduced to the activity following the conclusion of the 2013 season. In 2014, TILT turned this novice drum corps fan into a Bluecoats fan. 10 years later, the Bluecoats continue to captivate me in a way that no other corps can.

Happy TILT-iversary Bluecoats! Hope the mad scientists are putting something together to bring home championship #2 in 2024!

Edited by An_drew
  • Like 6

The last decade of Bluecoats programming has absolutely transformed drum corps shows in general.  2016 of course is the one everyone points to, but their development of electronics and soundscapes has also filtered down to just about everyone.  I'm glad the last couple of years they finally tacked into the wind after sailing along with it for a while, as they're one the few corps that keeps me coming back to see something new!

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beyond amazing! I think I've watched this at least 10x in a row.

• Like 1

The Bluecoats have a special place for me. 

Bluecoats were my introduction to drum corps back in 1990.
Staff from the Bluecoats assisted my High School band, along with a few visual techs from Star of Indiana. I was entering my freshman year, and was being introduced to marching band at freshman band camp in July that year. I happened to arrive  early on my first day, and was greeted by the staff of my band as I walked into the band room. As I walked in, I saw they were watching what I thought was the most amazing thing. The sound, the drill, the execution, etc. of it all, I asked what high school band this was. Of course, I was swiftly corrected that they were called “ corps”, and was advised the corps on the screen was the 1988 Bluecoats from Canton, Ohio. 

And at that moment,  began the 34 years that I have marched, volunteered, and most of all, been a fan of this activity. Later in 1991, I saw my first show live. Bluecoats and Star were at the show, and I was fortunate enough to sit in on their arcs in the lot. Thats a story for another post- but an experience I’ll never forget. 

Since that time I have not seen a Bluecoats show that wasn’t entertaining or one I didn’t like. Sure, what they are doing now has put them in the hunt for 1st nearly every year since 2014. But I can go back to 1987, 1988, and 1989 and say I love those shows too. I have heard stories about 1987 from various people who saw them that year. It seems like their hype was real at the time. 

The World War II show from 1995 is a great memory I took a WWII veteran to a local east coast show that year to see that show, along with The Cadets.  

Bluecoats along with Madison have always been the two corps I look forward to hearing every year. I have always known that whatever they do, they entertain. 
And while they took a step in wildly different and unique direction in the last 10 years, I look forward to whatever they put on the field  every year, as I always have. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 8:26 AM, An_drew said:

At this time 10 years ago, the Bluecoats design team was working on TILT, the show that started their impressive run of seven medals in eight competitive seasons. As far as the last 10 years are concerned, that run is second only to the success of BD.

It also marks 10 years since I started following drum corps, as I was introduced to the activity following the conclusion of the 2013 season. In 2014, TILT turned this novice drum corps fan into a Bluecoats fan. 10 years later, the Bluecoats continue to captivate me in a way that no other corps can.

Happy TILT-iversary Bluecoats! Hope the mad scientists are putting something together to bring home championship #2 in 2024!

That #2 title is inevitable for sure.

Happy Tiltversary BC.. 2014 was a phenomenal year! BD record setting placement score, Filliniesque was just stunning. But BC came with Tilt that sets them apart from the rest of the field that year, and set them on a successful 10 years run, because this year will be no different it's only a matter of months if this is the #2 Champions title.

Edited by theonlyfizzle

Still waiting for Coats take on The Talking Heads…so much potential lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sideways said:

Still waiting for Coats take on The Talking Heads…so much potential lol.

I'd go for whatever Thrower wants to do with Angelique Kidjo's cover of their Listening Winds!  Some polyrhythmic stuff going on in that.  Now that Bloo has shown with Bump that some deep polyrhythmic stuff can be done on the field, read coherently by fans, and rewarded by judges....lets go!

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1