Carolina Crown 2024

On 2/16/2024 at 9:41 AM, BWise said:

Word is they recruited well .. with Crown being a perc destination .. !!! Guard filled early too. I hear bigger props .. which is not a Crown tradition. Who knows but I’m excited to see what they bring out .. 👑

Not too early to plan the NB hookup. 

👑👑👑 Suite for sure. 

👑👑👑Suite for sure.

Well played, my friend. Well played…

Edited by nsxanax
Syntax error
  • Like 1

John Mackey is one of my favorite composers so I can't wait to see how that pans out. Color me *very* intrigued for how this summer goes. Mackey is very well known for odd time signatures and very chaotic pieces, very very friendly to low brass.

Me thinks we see some trombone and bass trombone from Crown this season once again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

John Mackey is one of my favorite composers so I can't wait to see how that pans out. Color me *very* intrigued for how this summer goes. Mackey is very well known for odd time signatures and very chaotic pieces, very very friendly to low brass.

Me thinks we see some trombone and bass trombone from Crown this season once again. 

Trombone feature in Relentless back in ‘16 was SLAMMIN.’ 

I could definitely get behind summin’ summin’ like that….

• Like 3

Super excited about John Mackey working with Crown creative for the upcoming season. He’s had a huge influence with drum corps with his incredible music. 

Check this out:https://dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=search&Composer=Mackey%2C John

Wow, Crown is sure to be off the charts again this year!

• Like 1

seen on the interwebs :ninja: 

Mackey will write the closer after seeing (hearing?) the rest of the show.  Now THAT'S interesting as it provides the opportunity to both tie together concepts and recapitulate motifs from throughout the program.  So it's not just a Mackey piece commissioned by Crown -- it's a Mackey piece written specifically for this show and these other pieces.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Neat. He's a fantastic composer and can surely see not only 'these themes standout here in this show" and "these lines are capable of these things and can grow in these ways" to write something unique and effective.

I can imagine the thrill of the MMs knowing "Mackey wrote this for US to challenge US to do it" and rise to the occasion.  

It could be a super special thing for Crown not just for the incorporation of a Mackey original work but HOW they do it in a way that invigorates the MMs.  

• Like 4

Super excited for Mackey to be composing a movement for Crown. I performed Wine Dark Sea in college about 7 years ago and it was a highlight in my young life. He knows how to end a piece so if it’s the closer, I expect babies to be thrown. Also very interested to see how it translates to a concert band piece in the fall as it’s the opposite of what usually happens for DCI with concert pieces going to the field. Summer can’t get here soon enough 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:36 AM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Ahhhhh yesssssss Dr. Kloessel is great! Love that guy, would love to go to a show or two with him. 

He did a presentation to us at the Januals in 2019 - he made weather interesting and fun.  Absolutely love the guy.

Mike

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MikeN said:

He did a presentation to us at the Januals in 2019 - he made weather interesting and fun.  Absolutely love the guy.

Mike

I am happy that is the case, things like that are very necessary in my field. 

• Like 1