Carolina Crown 2024

On 2/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, drumcorpsfever said:

Mackey is hip and so is Crown. Look out because the hipster meter is about to TILT in Crown’s favor!

Bloo ‘14 set the standard for hip that season. 

Cautiously optimistic for something equally epic from Crown ‘24👑👑👑

• Like 3

Seeing Mackey working with Crown gives me some interest. I haven't been able to get into a Crown show since 2016 (they should have kept the original ending), but this is fantastic news for drum corps.

Fun fact! When I performed with the Texas Junior College All-State band in 2011, John Mackey worked with us. It was an extremely fun experience and I had NO idea he was going to work with us. 

Another fun fact... every time I go to TMEA since 2011, we also bump into each other, like, a million times. It's become a "oh, it's this guy again. How's it going man!" Lol!!!! He is a great guy!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I haven't been able to get into a Crown show since 2016 (they should have kept the original ending)

Agreed. But the tragic shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in June of that year necessitated the change. 

• Confused 1

On 2/22/2024 at 4:52 PM, karuna said:

seen on the interwebs :ninja: 

Mackey will write the closer after seeing (hearing?) the rest of the show.  Now THAT'S interesting as it provides the opportunity to both tie together concepts and recapitulate motifs from throughout the program.  So it's not just a Mackey piece commissioned by Crown -- it's a Mackey piece written specifically for this show and these other pieces.  

That is fantastic.  WOW!  

Working my way down a backlog of official DCI audio that I never got a chance to listen to - 2019 Crown is probably the best music book of the entire year.  Funny enough, it's also probably one of the most "old school" in structure too.  That closer is amazing.  

For that matter, the 2021 Right Here Right Now book is just as good - but man oh man I wish they hadn't hammered that phrase into us the entire show.  Their closer that year was absolutely explosive, and they had the crowd in an uproar by the end - it was very, very cool.  

Anyways, just dropping some 🙂 thoughts into the thread as I catch up.  

-Mike

• Like 6

On 2/29/2024 at 11:09 AM, MikeN said:

Working my way down a backlog of official DCI audio that I never got a chance to listen to - 2019 Crown is probably the best music book of the entire year.  Funny enough, it's also probably one of the most "old school" in structure too.  That closer is amazing.  

For that matter, the 2021 Right Here Right Now book is just as good - but man oh man I wish they hadn't hammered that phrase into us the entire show.  Their closer that year was absolutely explosive, and they had the crowd in an uproar by the end - it was very, very cool.  

-Mike

RHRN had an excellent book top to bottom. I understand why it was thematically controversial, but that music was fire 🔥 

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 10:09 AM, MikeN said:

-Mike

They hammered the phrase 15 times I think. Because of that it was my least favorite Crown show since 2008. 

• Like 2

AM

Of course.

The detail of the pattern is movement😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nsxanax said:

AM

Of course.

The detail of the pattern is movement😉

Is movement a clue to something?