Carolina Crown 2024

11 hours ago, Vuitton said:

It's the new normal in DCI. More corps are going to start taking a year off. I said it was just the beginning wtih Vanguard and Cadets have proven me right. The corps are dumb - they shouldn't be running DCI and setting policy, and the greedy and selfish top corps only care about themselves and not the health of the activity as whole. They are doing the whole activity in with their win at all costs mentality. I can still love them, but none of them are going to be around in 20 years.

Some corps may take a year off but that still is not a certainty.  But in Cadets case, they aren’t taking a year off to reset.  They are taking forever off.  Insurmountable challenges because of a variety of past bad behaviors and poor planning for sustainability has caught up with them.  SCV has a different set of issues that they may be resolving but still they are at risk to a degree.  However, they are planning on a return. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I respectfully disagree.   There are elements to the histories of both SCV and Cadets that are not necessarily representative of most other corps out there.  I do not believe that this is the new normal, whether we are talking allegedly criminal bingo mismanagement or a 40 year history of widespread sexual assault and rape. 

We've had more visabiility in what's going on with Vanguard and the Cadets than other corps. More corps are going to be forced to take time off because of the extremely high costs of running said corps and the lack of interest in this activity. Within 20 years the whole activity will be gone.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Some corps may take a year off but that still is not a certainty.  But in Cadets case, they aren’t taking a year off to reset.  They are taking forever off.  Insurmountable challenges because of a variety of past bad behaviors and poor planning for sustainability has caught up with them.  SCV has a different set of issues that they may be resolving but still they are at risk to a degree.  However, they are planning on a return. 

Yes, the Cadets look like the won't be back, but this is just the beginning. You can't be competitive without spending a ton of money, so corps have a choice - remain a lower tier corps or spend, spend, spend and fold in the future. 

4 hours ago, Vuitton said:

. More corps are going to be forced to take time off because of the extremely high costs of running said corps and the lack of interest in this activity. Within 20 years the whole activity will be gone.

Maybe, but who knows. In my view, so long as high school and college marching band rooms are empty and their  doors locked for the summer, something should fill the void where instruction for students in playing an instrument and marching with that instrument will find a large pool still of willing students, and instructors available in the summer to teach.

The format might have to change to adapt to the times, but I see the summer void filled in some capacity or other. Corps just came thru a multiple years of a pandemic where many were shuttered. Then when Corps returned, inflation, gas, housing, etc all became further unexpected obstacles.  But while growth of Corps  in numbers did not take place, the vast majority ol corps came thru these unprecedented times, and survived.. So lets see what happens now that this Covid is seemingly behind us, and see where the activity goes once the economy picks up.DCI also has a new Executive Director. Lets see what he has up his sleeve to move the activity forward post Covid.

Edited by Boss Anova

5 hours ago, Vuitton said:

We've had more visabiility in what's going on with Vanguard and the Cadets than other corps. More corps are going to be forced to take time off because of the extremely high costs of running said corps and the lack of interest in this activity. Within 20 years the whole activity will be gone.

Drum corps has survived depressions, recessions, wars, political upheaval, pandemics, etc. etc. etc.  It will be around in 20 years but it may not be called Drum Corps International. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

No doom and gloom here. Looking forward to another amazing year by Crown.

I'm down with Crown giving us some 'doom & gloom'. They've given some great material over the years. (Inferno, Relentless, Beast, etc) 💜☑️  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:03 PM, Bruckner8 said:

Can someone hook me up with Crown’s spring training dates and location? Internet searches have been unreliable. Is Ensemble Rehearsal open, even for old curmudgeons? Message me if Q clearance is required 

18 May to 16 June at Gardner Webb University in Boiling Springs NC.  Rehearsals are open.  

• Thanks 2

I think that we can glean that there will be an element of dark in this show, because that is what John Mackey excels at. Dark, intricate melodies. Percussion and low brass are going to have worlds of fun with whatever he writes for them, I can tell you that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1