Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

In your opinion, what qualifies as challenging and unique and innovative, that they aren't doing already?

And from a "business perspective" (not a fan perspective) if you were overall in charge of BD, and you just racked up your 10th title in the last 15 competitive seasons Saturday night, and someone comes in your office Monday morning and says the formula needs to be scrapped and we need to do something else for 2024 to appease some people online, what would your response be as the Director of BD?

Does BDs bottom line change if they finish 3rd rather than 1st? Will they lose recruits or interest? So I am not sure what business we are talking about. In the end its about the member experience. 

If I am the creative director of BD, I would want to make people like me shut up. I would ask, what can we do that has never been done before, and how do we do it better than everyone else? You can push forward without changing the approach. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

In your opinion, what qualifies as challenging and unique and innovative, that they aren't doing already?

And from a "business perspective" (not a fan perspective) if you were overall in charge of BD, and you just racked up your 10th title in the last 15 competitive seasons Saturday night, and someone comes in your office Monday morning and says the formula needs to be scrapped and we need to do something else for 2024 to appease some people online, what would your response be as the Director of BD?

I mean, knowing the BD folks, their reaction might honestly be, "eh, sounds like fun."

• Like 1

Speaking of show design this clip between Michael Cesario and Scott Chandler is very cool. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Blue Devils will have billions and billions of titles …

-Carl Sagan 

Sagan has been done before, per Crossmen 1992 Show: "Songs For Planet Earth". A BD version could be called "Pale Blue Dot", after the Sagan speech. Repertoire would probably include the likes of David Bowie - Space Oddity, Peter Schilling - Major Tom, and (keeping with anime) Makoto Fujiwara - Opening Theme to Macross 

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Does BDs bottom line change if they finish 3rd rather than 1st? Will they lose recruits or interest? So I am not sure what business we are talking about. In the end its about the member experience. 

If I am the creative director of BD, I would want to make people like me shut up. I would ask, what can we do that has never been done before, and how do we do it better than everyone else? You can push forward without changing the approach. 

exactly,  and they have done that in the past with the absurdity show, the through the glass darkly show, with filiniesque.  they have it in themselves to do something different, interesting, and challenging but they decide to do a variation of the same thing over and over with all the same tropes that they've done for years.  take a chance, do something different and unexpected, make the crowd excited and wowed.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:25 AM, KVG_DC said:

Lean into the anime and West coast jazz the whole way.  Seatbelts + Stan Kenton with anime inspired visual storytelling.  

They've already been capturing the attention of anime fans the past two years and pulling them into the activity fanbase.  Pulling harder could break open a whole new community to the activity and provide a fresh new look to a classic BD jazz sound. 

Speaking of anime, how has this song not made a Blue Devils show yet? From the music to the title, it's like it was written for them.