Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

55 minutes ago, Lance said:

Their movement was breathtaking to watch live at finals, and we're talking about a top 2 that was also cooking pretty good with the Cadets and Cavies.  

BD 2000 is one of those weird shows that (for me) was better early season when it was more raw-sounding musically.  It felt almost too refined by finals week.  I don't know how to explain it.  

Funny enough for me, I felt the show was way better without the tag on the end.  I like when it just ... ended.  Boom.  

Mike

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 7:33 PM, Chief Guns said:

I would consider BDs 2000 show "Methods of Madness" dark.

That opening drill is unreal. 150 people are not supposed to move so effortlessly like that. 

My literal introduction to DCI. BD was just starting on the PBS broadcast as I was channel surfing and seeing them glide across the field stopped me in my tracks — plus I knew the music!  Taxi Driver, unforgettable.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

My literal introduction to DCI. BD was just starting on the PBS broadcast as I was channel surfing and seeing them glide across the field stopped me in my tracks — plus I knew the music!  Taxi Driver, unforgettable.

Yes the good old days of PBS.

• Like 6

On 3/7/2024 at 12:53 PM, Lance said:

Their movement was breathtaking to watch live at finals, and we're talking about a top 2 that was also cooking pretty good with the Cadets and Cavies.  

Cadets and Cavies were amazing! I think the top 12 in 2000 as a whole is a very underrated. 

What's interesting is as much as the Cadets and Cavies were slaying it, looking at the finals recaps, BD was going blow for blow with the both of them, including taking a couple of captions, and some 2nd's in other captions. It was the 6th place finish in drums that did them in. No doubt the "Incident" played a part in that. There is no way BDs drummers weren't shaken up and affected by that. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Cadets and Cavies were amazing! I think the top 12 in 2000 as a whole is a very underrated. 

What's interesting is as much as the Cadets and Cavies were slaying it, looking at the finals recaps, BD was going blow for blow with the both of them, including taking a couple of captions, and some 2nd's in other captions. It was the 6th place finish in drums that did them in. No doubt the "Incident" played a part in that. There is no way BDs drummers weren't shaken up and affected by that. 

Yeah, that was rough. 

And 2000 was my favorite top 3 I ever saw live at finals.  Went to 98,99,00, and 07...thanks again for that, @JohnD!.  That top 3 in 2000 was a riot.  The only other top 3 that compares for me is 93, and I never got to see any of those corps live, just on the PBS broadcast.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Yeah, that was rough. 

And 2000 was my favorite top 3 I ever saw live at finals.  Went to 98,99,00, and 07...thanks again for that, @JohnD!.  That top 3 in 2000 was a riot.  The only other top 3 that compares for me is 93, and I never got to see any of those corps live, just on the PBS broadcast.  

Unfortunately for me, 2023 was my first DCI Finals, so that would be my favorite top three live lol. 

But if I was able to add my favorite regardless of live viewing or not, I gotta go with 2003. 

BD- Phenomenon of Cool

Cavies- Spin Cycle

Cadets- My Favorite Things

That's a filthy top three that I would put up against any year. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Lance said:

Yeah, that was rough. 

2000 was epic, for real. Methods of Madness remains my favorite BD show to date. I love how every now and then they take a break from jazz and go totally dark and weird. Fingers crossed we get dark and weird this year. 

• Like 3

On 3/14/2024 at 12:42 PM, Chief Guns said:

What happened? I feel like I know what you’re talking about but I don’t remember, 2000 was apparently [redacted] years ago… 

3 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

What happened? I feel like I know what you’re talking about but I don’t remember, 2000 was apparently [redacted] years ago… 

The bass drummer that got tossed during finals for being caught with weed.  But comes running on at the last minute as they take the field.  

9 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

The bass drummer that got tossed during finals for being caught with weed.  But comes running on at the last minute as they take the field.  

Found a reddit post about it. Nuts 😭 

• Like 2