Phantom Regiment 2024

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to all the fellow phans and drop some thoughts off!

I’ve spent all morning listening to Shaw hornlines at SCV and dang we are in for a treat. I don’t know how I forgot, but those Shaw books between 2016 and 2019 at SCV were absolutely ridiculous. Just the epitome of technicality and heart and innovation.

I think they’re following the same playbook in building up the corps that they did in building back SCV starting in 2011 (although admittedly Phantom started in a much more treacherous position). Get a few years of foundational shows to establish fundamentals (SCV 2011-2014, Phantom 2021-2023/2024) then start pushing the envelope of what’s possible for the corps. I think innovative design is where this staff is headed based on their work at SCV between 2016 and 2019. I can’t wait to see them develop that brand at Phantom.

I was thinking about this a few days ago and I gotta say, it’s rather ironic that Phantom took staff from SCV after what happened in 2011-2012. I love SCV, they’re probably my second or third favorite corps, but it’s just interesting how the universe works. It’s very weird to think about how large parts of the brass, visual, and percussion staffs that created Babylon in 2018 is now in Rockford (although I always said Babylon would’ve been a great Phantom show).

I’m also very interested to see what happens with the Rennicks if SCV decides not to return in 2024 (which is what I’m leaning towards happening rn). I want Penland and Sammons in charge and all, but I could see the Rennicks serving in advisory roles, something like they do with Troopers. I don’t really see them going full-time anywhere at this moment, Phantom included.

I hope everyone is doing well and the off-season is treating y’all alright! June can’t get here fast enough!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I don’t see JD arranging Zamfir’s greatest hits or Andre Rieu’s chart busters.

Oh come on Suta!! Zamfir and his magical pan flute?!?! The sheer awesomeness of a show called simply "Pan" would be epic! Throw in some Yani Live at the Acropolis and it's magic!!

I am 101% kidding btw....

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, Kopeck said:

As the Regiment has been making great strides the last 2 years with music and show design, where do they go next? Thoughts?

My wish is they are more like 2022 than they were in 2023 musically speaking  😁.   Also, they need a new soundboard operator. The bass was absolutely absurd. 🥲

26 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

My wish is they are more like 2022 than they were in 2023 musically speaking  😁.   Also, they need a new soundboard operator. The bass was absolutely absurd. 🥲

I feel like it will be far better on 2024 as far as the sound engineering. Phantom just doesn't have the years under their belt like Bloo does. We also have to think about what a hard environment LOS is (speaking of only finals week here.) "The goo" was abnormally thick there compared to what I heard in other venues (and it wasn't just PR.)

Give it time....they'll get there. I feel like PR, for many years, saw the changes of the activity happening and chose to take a "wait and see" approach. From the outside looking in, they were tentative and slow to pivot. Now that the changes have begun, it's going to be a balancing act between being progressive while still taking small steps and not over compensating and going "Full Bluecoats" (I'm coining that phrase.)

Also this is only MY opinion. I have no association to PR with the exception of being a fan and making a few small donations over the years. I have no inside sources to confirm or negate my opinion. I'll defer to the alums, staff and volunteers for inside info.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:04 AM, college-phan said:

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to all the fellow phans and drop some thoughts off!

I’ve spent all morning listening to Shaw hornlines at SCV and dang we are in for a treat. I don’t know how I forgot, but those Shaw books between 2016 and 2019 at SCV were absolutely ridiculous. Just the epitome of technicality and heart and innovation.

I think they’re following the same playbook in building up the corps that they did in building back SCV starting in 2011 (although admittedly Phantom started in a much more treacherous position). Get a few years of foundational shows to establish fundamentals (SCV 2011-2014, Phantom 2021-2023/2024) then start pushing the envelope of what’s possible for the corps. I think innovative design is where this staff is headed based on their work at SCV between 2016 and 2019. I can’t wait to see them develop that brand at Phantom.

I was thinking about this a few days ago and I gotta say, it’s rather ironic that Phantom took staff from SCV after what happened in 2011-2012. I love SCV, they’re probably my second or third favorite corps, but it’s just interesting how the universe works. It’s very weird to think about how large parts of the brass, visual, and percussion staffs that created Babylon in 2018 is now in Rockford (although I always said Babylon would’ve been a great Phantom show).

I’m also very interested to see what happens with the Rennicks if SCV decides not to return in 2024 (which is what I’m leaning towards happening rn). I want Penland and Sammons in charge and all, but I could see the Rennicks serving in advisory roles, something like they do with Troopers. I don’t really see them going full-time anywhere at this moment, Phantom included.

I hope everyone is doing well and the off-season is treating y’all alright! June can’t get here fast enough!

Sounds like what Shaw did when he arranged for Regiment before he left for SCV. The corps slowly built from 2002 to 2008 - placing higher almost every year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Dear PR,

Would you take a 51 year old DCI vet that you cut at camp in '89?

No? Well da** it....

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Dear PR,

Would you take a 51 year old DCI vet that you cut at camp in '89?

No? Well da** it....

Strengthen up that left hand and maybe they'll talk.

• Haha 4