New turf to be installed at Lucas Oil July 2024

14 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

So -- DCI gets to "play" on it before the Colts do?  Are we breaking it in for them?

odds are there's a preseason game there before DCI gets to town

• Like 1

I mean, it would break my heart if DCI were moved to another city with a dome like Las Vegas or something...

Edited by Mello Dude

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I mean, it would break my heart if DCI were moved to another city with a dome like Las Vegas or something...

The only issue with Vegas that I see is what about the corps rehearsals finals week? With temperatures possibly hitting 110-115 in August, I don't see how the corps could rehearse at their respective housing sites.

Or maybe once they get into Vegas Tuesday/Wednesday, they don't rehearse at all. 

20 hours ago, mrk said:

May through July will be a busy time in Lucas Oil with the hosting of the Olympic Swimming Trials in May.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2023/06/15/2024-olympic-trials-how-usa-swimming-will-put-a-pool-in-lucas-oil-stadium/70317961007/

Someone at DCI might want to put in a call to Bloomington, just in case a backup plan is needed.  Or whatever alternative venues are nearby.

Edited by lawdn

On 8/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, rpbobcat said:

There is one "problem" with bands/corps on synthetic turf.

They produce a lot of static electricity,especially indoors

first corps to harness this by tying party balloons to their ankles and slide-stepping across the turf to fire up color-guard lasers and shoot sparks out of their trumpets wins DCI

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

Someone at DCI might want to put in a call to Bloomington, just in case a backupmplan is needed.  Or whatever alternative venues are nearby.

Purdue is an hour to the north.  A bit bigger than IU, and easier to get to as I-65 runs nearby.   If a domed stadium is a requirement, I think Detroit or St Louis are closest, although without an NFL team I’m not sure what shape St Louis stadium is in. 

• Like 1