Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

We can’t say “Catherine”?  It’s been a very long time. I think we should all let it go. 

i don't say it for humor purposes. especially having been harassed offline by her and her minions

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

We can’t say “Catherine”?  It’s been a very long time. I think we should all let it go. 

Shhh not the "C" word!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Wow this is a fun read. 32 pages of nobody knows what’s going on so let’s speculate  and take shots at each other. Good stuff. 

I don’t see any mention so far of marching members. The sunshine pumps are pumping from the leadership, the staff is announced.  Awesome. BUT - will they get kids to audition?  With no more, essentially, than a “trust me, it’s gonna be fabulous,” how many kids will pony up their money a second time with the possibility this might not happen?   Will they be able to pull in the members?

I would think they will get members, and members talented enough to make the top 12. That being said, I don’t expect them to pick up where they left off. SCV last made the top three in 2019 and it was not a solid third place finish. Crown was nipping at their heels and I thought they deserved to medal. In 2022 they placed fifth, well behind the top four. Though they have amazing staff lined up, they may discover that at least for this year they are not a destination corps. BD will still be the one to beat, Bloo will continue to be the fun corps, Crown will still have that brass and momentum from last year, BAC wants to be the giant (pun intended) and has no intention of slowing down, Mandarins will be of interest, Cadets, Cavies, and Phantom will have appeal, and Troopers may ascend. I would think attracting vets from 2022 who are still able to march will be critical, but if they’ve found a home elsewhere, will they want to leave? 

14 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I don’t say it because I felt sorry for her. Knew someone who talked and acted the same way. And there were some on RAMD who would try to crank her up which was wrong.

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I would think they will get members, and members talented enough to make the top 12. That being said, I don’t expect them to pick up where they left off. SCV last made the top three in 2019 and it was not a solid third place finish. Crown was nipping at their heels and I thought they deserved to medal. In 2022 they placed fifth, well behind the top four. Though they have amazing staff lined up, they may discover that at least for this year they are not a destination corps. BD will still be the one to beat, Bloo will continue to be the fun corps, Crown will still have that brass and momentum from last year, BAC wants to be the giant (pun intended) and has no intention of slowing down, Mandarins will be of interest, Cadets, Cavies, and Phantom will have appeal, and Troopers may ascend. I would think attracting vets from 2022 who are still able to march will be critical, but if they’ve found a home elsewhere, will they want to leave? 

Good insight and I agree with it. They may have trouble if they are assuming the kids will come back as if nothing happened. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Especially considering Mandarins were 6th, and is a rock solid organization operationally. IF they make it to the field this year, SCV will likely be the third choice in California for a lot of students. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Especially considering Mandarins were 6th, and is a rock solid organization operationally. IF they make it to the field this year, SCV will likely be the third choice in California for a lot of students. 

I think this is one of the occasions where our POVs diverge.

I don't think Vanguard will ever have issues recruiting top talent. Our legacy is so incredibly strong. And I'm more proud of that than I can relay through a keyboard, not that detractors would believe me anyway.

But this is also why I'm so tough on the org. They'll never have trouble drawing in young members... but keeping ALL of them happy and safe, as well as maintaining the financial strength needed to do so has proven elusive at times... or altogether missing at others. More voices are beginning to pop up saying this across the online world.

It's important to acknowledge, accept, and listen to those voices if the organization wants to be whole. Otherwise it will continue to be confronted with dissent from those it undeniably harmed. I continue to ask: are we not part of the "family?" 'Cause the answer seems to continue to be an adamant no. Especially when threats are involved.

Edit to add: I'm super-not making this stuff up and don't know this anon alum... https://reddit.com/r/drumcorps/s/eno14Tgxj2

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2