Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

But I love the yesteryear legacy conversations.  Heck, I've shared my dad's 1956 experience as a teen marching with a bunch of war vets in a corps where he was brought on board because, "you're the only one who can read the sheet music for the battery."  Hearing him tell stories about the show, the stays overnight they did at some places, etc. never really gets old for me.  I also love him seeing boggle on where the activity has gone now and his appreciation for it...including some droll dry lines. 

Can't love this enough.  Would love to hear some of his stories! ❤️💙💚

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Can't love this enough.  Would love to hear some of his stories! ❤️💙💚

I posted some things back in 2016 when we found a picture of his corps going through old pictures and it started a whole conversation.  I had no idea where to put it.  Since it was sort of an all age thing mostly of vets but had a couple of HS kids...but not a DCA as they did the AL circuit back then.  So I threw it in the All Age historical forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Point very well stated. The corporate model wouldn't work in a plug and play type of format for sure. I think pieces of it could, but some of the wheels spokes would definitely have to be reinvented. I would, however wonder if it's the model that wouldn't work or it's a will vs skill type of scenario at some level.

As we traverse the many major reported incidents across several corps (SCV is not the first and unfortunately will most likely not be the last,) the pattern of corps seems to be the "We do things the way that we do them because it's always how we've done them." Change only occurs at two levels:

1. Willingness to change in order to keep moving forward with minimal risk of future issues

2. Force by circumstance.

I don't know what the right answer is. And I'm smart enough to realize that there may not be an easy model/answer. But if corps aren't striving for transparency until they get punched in the jaw, that's a recipe for disaster. 

1.  I don't know if it has much to do about "change" as it does just doing the job or jobs.  Not keeping up with the stuff whether non-profit or C/S corp. will come out to bite you.  Good organizations need to elect competent people.  NOTHING kills an org. put on auto pilot by a GOOD previous admin will crash and burn not keeping up with the basics.

2.  Is always an option but usually a bad one.  Worse is when it's forced by an outside influence that is a power play.  I have seen this tear apart good organizations and kill friendships.  Always ends up being about someone rather than what's best for the organization.  When you are weak these people will pounce and you better be ready for it and not cave or you will be back peddling and never have peace no matter how good you are at fixing it.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

We need an assisted living facility in Florida, on the water, with all drum corps folks.  They can play shows 24/7 in the commons area & have drum corps trivia games, etc.  Maybe some drum corps style dance classes, circle drumming, &  small brass ensembles. (We could perform at grand openings & parades.)  

To keep on topic, hopefully we would be able to play the SCV 2024 performance.  

:dancin:

yeah i had a different screen name and killed the account and created a new one for whatever reason i don't remember. i do remember GD offering me the chance to participate in some beta testing, and man when the old OT forums were a thing, we had a blast on here. got to meet many people from here over the ....gasp..decades now, and even had some at my wedding....gasp 19 years ago

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah i had a different screen name and killed the account and created a new one for whatever reason i don't remember. i do remember GD offering me the chance to participate in some beta testing, and man when the old OT forums were a thing, we had a blast on here. got to meet many people from here over the ....gasp..decades now, and even had some at my wedding....gasp 19 years ago

I had an old account that I only use to read but forgot the login & password. I guess I couldn't recover so created a new a few years ago & started a little commenting.    

42 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

ok time to make more popcorn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighterkit said:

top zozzle. I love drum corps but headlines like these really put our cookies and milk operation into perspective. 

8 hours ago, fighterkit said:

Mercy. Some colorful reader comments.