Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Amazing what can be found in the Internet Movie DataBase. One of my go to sites. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I will give credit to Cadets for facing facts & pulling the plug before auditions actually started.   Even if it did take a bit for some of their social media to get the message.  

Partial credit, as they lied about why they were pulling the plug. Lawsuit?  No. Just a couple unanticipated invoices. 

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I go there every time I’m considering seeing a movie.  I’ve seen two really good ones in the last month.  One of them, I had already read the book. 

I always check the trivia and goofs. 😆 Also great for watching a movie or tv show and “who the hades is that?”.

Lol actually follow someone on Instagram because of what I found on IMDB. Along with acting and motion capture work lady does a lot of stunt work… for kids  (She’s 4’ 6”). Posts some interesting stuff from her work and has a good sense of humor 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Partial credit, as they lied about why they were pulling the plug. Lawsuit?  No. Just a couple unanticipated invoices. 

I am always entertained at the level of "transparency" the drum corps community considers sufficiently transparent. 

I come from corporate finance, banking and investment management. Transparency is defined for my profession by the Securities Exchange Commission, FDIC, Sarbanes Oxley Act, etc.....

For Vanguard it's defined by the CA DOJ and now the Franchise State Tax Board. A statement from the CEO saying they are compliant is not the same threshold of transparency the CA DOJ considers transparency compliance. 

Being transparent STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! at providing audited financial statements and filing 990's on time. 

Transparency is elevated when someone like me picks apart those 990's and audited financial statements and presents questions to the Board of Directors in an open forum and those questions are answered honestly and openly in civil dialog. 

Vanguard is not transparent, nowhere near it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

honestly i think it's some of both given the sudden departure of the ops manager and the CEO

51 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

I am always entertained at the level of "transparency" the drum corps community considers sufficiently transparent. 

I come from corporate finance, banking and investment management. Transparency is defined for my profession by the Securities Exchange Commission, FDIC, Sarbanes Oxley Act, etc.....

For Vanguard it's defined by the CA DOJ and now the Franchise State Tax Board. A statement from the CEO saying they are compliant is not the same threshold of transparency the CA DOJ considers transparency compliance. 

Being transparent STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! at providing audited financial statements and filing 990's on time. 

Transparency is elevated when someone like me picks apart those 990's and audited financial statements and presents questions to the Board of Directors in an open forum and those questions are answered honestly and openly in civil dialog. 

Vanguard is not transparent, nowhere near it. 

as someone in corporate finance......transparency sucks there. See 2008 and the recent spate of bank failures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

as someone in corporate finance......transparency sucks there. See 2008 and the recent spate of bank failures.

I was there. I was a Finance AVP at Wachovia (remember them) and administered the regulatory filings and collateral compliance of a mortgage backed security find (REIT) that Wachovia owned. My last days there were moving mortgage loan collateral from one fund to another fund to keep multiple funds afloat. At one point, it occurred to me, we are going to have to start to scarifying which funds fall out of compliance. 

I left Wachovia, went through a police academy (wanting to be a financial crimes investigator) but then the actual collapse happened in the fall of 2008. By time I graduated the academy there were no cop jobs, and I found myself back in a Credit Union doing the exact same job I held before Wachovia. There I ran (data crunched) the Interest Rate Risk model of the credit union. 

That's when it occurred to me: When we ran the Interest Rate Risk model we were only simulating what would happen to OUR institution of the markets went sideways on us, and exposed use to the balances of our long term fixed interest rate loans. 

What the model DID NOT simulate is what would happen to our ability to operate if EVERY ONE was slammed in the same way. 

What eventually happened was while at the credit union our main creditor (the bank we borrowed from) wanted us to protect the collateral we used to borrow with (Car Loans). So they required we take every single document pertaining to every single car loan we used as collateral for our line of credit, and put those documents in a FIRE PROOF file cabinet that is not bolted down so it could be wheeled away should the time come. So if we collapsed and brunt  the whole place to the ground the loan documentation would be left standing and our lender could wheel it away and collect on what they were owed. 

It's around this time I said, screw this I'm joining the Army. 

Oh, and I'm on the SCV board during all of this

With the right compliance one can get away with murder. SCV has no I idea what they could get away with just by forging an auditor's statement to accompany a print out of their finances (I guess I should give them credit for not doing that). The trouble is if anyone checks to call the CPA firm disclosed on the 990's. 

So, SCV has their staff in place for the upcoming year, they are planning on fielding a corps, and they are planning on touring; yet, there is still a lot of financial matters that haven't been resolved? WTH and WTF? 
I agree with Jeff. If it gets far enough along and it looks like things aren't going to happen; every member that auditions and pays dues should have every penny refunded and the corps should seriously give strong consideration to putting on the dirt blanket. 

• Like 3