Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

That’s be nice but unless it’s a member safety issue that makes the news or a giant explosion on social media, dci the organization generally buries its head in the sand on financial issues. 

Unless you are 2006 Troopers, who had, gasp, tax issues. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They have an audition camp today/tomorrow in San Jose.   Will be interesting to see how many auditionees find the way.  I wonder if any independent info on turnout will be available (suspect any SCV press release will say huge turnout with highest talent level ever, even if reality is 7 people & a ham sandwich (iykyk))?  That said, I would hope that potential members determined to march in 2024 have a backup plan.  

You renegade you

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Given how few corps had a full roster last year and how many SCV kids last year went elsewhere that opportunities will exist if the kids are willing

If I were still of marching age (unless I was determined to march in one specific Corps), I would wait for the ‘fill every Corps’ spreadsheet season & see what options exist.  Would at least save some $$ on winter camp fees. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

The legacy branding and web search algorithms for the Santa Clara Vanguard continue to work to the organizations' advantage despite testimonies of years of member abuse and financial, ahem, challenges. I want the goodness of Vanguard to live on too.

So, I can't be upset per se. A clean, non cookie-fied web search of SCV brings up nothing negative for the first two pages of results. Plug in "abuse" though and there are plenty of results for both categories listed above. The real question is whether searching that way is even on prospective member or parent radars.

We probably won't ever know.

Cause orgs either don't track or don't share that kind of info. Maybe the new mid season member experience survey would make a good place to capture that, or something like it. But that would take a come-to-Jesus moment that I don't know if this org is willing to undergo.

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'd be kind of curious as to who is auditioning for them this year. Between no show for anyone in 2020, then sitting out 2021 (a video doesn't count), a pretty meh show in 2022 (just being honest), and being unable to field in 2023, what kind of memory would any 20 year old have of Vanguard to make them a destination stop? 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unless you are 2006 Troopers, who had, gasp, tax issues. 

“We are saddened to inform the audience, that these corps, which travel across the country and make no profit have financial struggles.”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

‘Appreciate your information re. updates with SCV and its filings and status with the State of California .

You post that “ SCV is not a member of DCI “.  Playing the Devils Advocate here for a moment on this point , if SCV is not a current member of DCI , wouldn’t it be both prudent and fiduciary responsible for DCI  to not post a “ non member of DCI on their official website of the DCI organization ? For example , if any person goes to the DCI website , the website explains “ who we are “ and also has a “ Corps  section “, and unless SCV lost their membership status before the holiday , and the website has not been updated in the interim , then DCI on their official website of the organization currently lists SCV as a “ member of DCI . “ . I understand from an earlier DCI press release that SCV decision to withdraw from competition in 2023 will result in the forfeiture of performance order early season benefits that accrue to Corps that did compete in 2023 , and a few other things , but I am not aware that one of their forfeitures for their decision to not compete in 2023 was their loss of membership status in DCI . Would you care to clarify what you mean when you post that “ SCV is not a member of DCI “ ? 
  Also , do you have any documentation we can look at that shows in filings , and such that “ it’s clear as day  that they are in violation of Bingo Employee payments “. ?   Where do we find that , and how much do they owe their Bingo employees that has the Corps in some sort of violation ?  Thank you .

My understanding of DCI membership is SCV lost it when they stopped being a competing Corps. When they go forward into 2024 they will always perform LAST!!!!!!!!!!!! among World Corps until later in the season when they have built up a basis of scored ranking for larger regional shows. 

So YEA I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF IS UP WITH DCI?????????????

The Cadets will be in the same boat too. 

Now........... as far as DCI goes................. I posted here on DCP that Cadets are not in compliance with the PA Dept of State. I was very cautious to make my move and literally reached out to the state and they sent me back an e-mail confirmation that the Cadets are indeed NOT (and I stand by this accusation to this day) not registered as a charity as required by PA law. I had that in my hand before I went and posted anything. 

With literally the PA Dept of State letter in my hand I submitted an ethics complaint to DCI and gave them a copy of said letter. 

Dan Acheson himself e-mailed me and said the Cadets are good to go based on what the Cadets say. 

Then the media manager of Cadets e-mailed me directly trying to push me around. 

WRONG MOVE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you all learn anything..................

So what that ended up doing is cause me to submit an independent complaint to the state of Pennsylvania connecting the dots for them to Cadets and YEA Tax ID's to the conduct of George H. That way, record of the disciplinary action will forever be attached to those tax ID's in the Pennsylvania non profit registry.  

Now, if DCI and Cadets just LET IT GO!!!!! and said thanks we are looking into it and then SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!! They wouldn't have had some A-hole on the west coast hand the Dept of State documentation linking the last two Tax ID's to being an insinuation of rape so it can continue to be documented as such in the state non profit registry. 

Then a week later the whole law suit becomes public via another source

So sure.......... take DCI's word for it. Take Cadets word for it, take SCV's word for it. 

Everything I say can be verified, I'm just done being the one to have to prove it. I think it's their turns now. 

I say SCV is illegally paying Bingo employees with Bingo revenues in violation of CA state laws. They do not have the audited financials to say otherwise.

It takes seventeen people to run a bingo session, the hourly wage is at least the state minimum, and all that can be multiplied out by the bingo operating hours/days and add an hour before for prep, and an hour after for closure. The bingo manager salary is published in the 990's, and all that dwarfs the needed amounts earned from non bingo revenue sources (without member tour fees).

They went into 2023 having defaulted on lenders. So any reserves they had to pay bingo employees with non bingo reserves was ZERO

They had been delinquent since 2020 so any donations cannot be used to pay bingo salaries. That number they illegally raised is over $1,000,000. Just look when their registration expired and add up the donations income on their 990s, and I don't even have FY2022 yet.  

All SCV has to pay Bingo Salaries with is merchandise and royalty revenues. That is not going to cut it.  

Their business model is incapable of paying Bingo Salaries legally since September 2022. They can meet the cash flow needs if they use Bingo Net Income illegally. 

I guess any effort to play a shell game to hid that fact is called money laundering (says the Chartered Financial Analyst, 20 year Banker, and prior SCV Treasurer). 

11 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

My understanding of DCI membership is SCV lost it when they stopped being a competing Corps. When they go forward into 2024 they will always perform LAST!!!!!!!!!!!! among World Corps until later in the season when they have built up a basis of scored ranking for larger regional shows. 

So YEA I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF IS UP WITH DCI?????????????

The Cadets will be in the same boat too. 

Now........... as far as DCI goes................. I posted here on DCP that Cadets are not in compliance with the PA Dept of State. I was very cautious to make my move and literally reached out to the state and they sent me back an e-mail confirmation that the Cadets are indeed NOT (and I stand by this accusation to this day) not registered as a charity as required by PA law. I had that in my hand before I went and posted anything. 

With literally the PA Dept of State letter in my hand I submitted an ethics complaint to DCI and gave them a copy of said letter. 

Dan Acheson himself e-mailed me and said the Cadets are good to go based on what the Cadets say. 

Then the media manager of Cadets e-mailed me directly trying to push me around. 

WRONG MOVE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you all learn anything..................

So what that ended up doing is cause me to submit an independent complaint to the state of Pennsylvania connecting the dots for them to Cadets and YEA Tax ID's to the conduct of George H. That way, record of the disciplinary action will forever be attached to those tax ID's in the Pennsylvania non profit registry.  

Now, if DCI and Cadets just LET IT GO!!!!! and said thanks we are looking into it and then SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!! They wouldn't have had some A-hole on the west coast hand the Dept of State documentation linking the last two Tax ID's to being an insinuation of rape so it can continue to be documented as such in the state non profit registry. 

Then a week later the whole law suit becomes public via another source

So sure.......... take DCI's word for it. Take Cadets word for it, take SCV's word for it. 

Everything I say can be verified, I'm just done being the one to have to prove it. I think it's their turns now. 

I say SCV is illegally paying Bingo employees with Bingo revenues in violation of CA state laws. They do not have the audited financials to say otherwise.

It takes seventeen people to run a bingo session, the hourly wage is at least the state minimum, and all that can be multiplied out by the bingo operating hours/days and add an hour before for prep, and an hour after for closure. The bingo manager salary is published in the 990's, and all that dwarfs the needed amounts earned from non bingo revenue sources (without member tour fees).

They went into 2023 having defaulted on lenders. So any reserves they had to pay bingo employees with non bingo reserves was ZERO

They had been delinquent since 2020 so any donations cannot be used to pay bingo salaries. That number they illegally raised is over $1,000,000. Just look when their registration expired and add up the donations income on their 990s, and I don't even have FY2022 yet.  

All SCV has to pay Bingo Salaries with is merchandise and royalty revenues. That is not going to cut it.  

Their business model is incapable of paying Bingo Salaries legally since September 2022. They can meet the cash flow needs if they use Bingo Net Income illegally. 

I guess any effort to play a shell game to hid that fact is called money laundering (says the Chartered Financial Analyst, 20 year Banker, and prior SCV Treasurer).

Stop being so negative. -some SCV alum probably