Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It is exhausting and I have no idea how this is going to play out 

I’m going to as many shows as I can this coming summer.  World class, open class… if it’s in the general vicinity, I’m going.  I hate the seating in Allentown but I might even go there.  

42 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Or the Kardashians. Though finally, after what, 10 years of that nonsense, people are at least turning their weird attentions to Taylor and Travis. 

Taylor has been a huge ratings boost for the NFL product bringing in the Swifty family. Maybe she should start dating a prominent DCI figure? 😁 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so then they admiited to dan A or the new guy now that they've been non comliant with the state for 3 years? given the clearly stated timelines CA has posted, that DCi allows SCV to claim anything for the summer shows they are falling down on the job too. 

I agree that DCI was falling down on the job.  But is there anything DCI should be doing differently now?

All DCI can really do is conduct a review, and implement the following possible outcomes as prescribed in their Policies and Procedures:

1.  no further action needed

2.  plan to get back in compliance, no punitive action

3.  lower membership one or more levels

4.  suspend

It appears that the "review" likely occurred in September of this year, when VMAPA could claim they hired Russ Gavin and he/they presented the plan to get the reporting back in order by January.  With that, the review outcome was apparently option #2, and at the same time option #3 also occurred as a consequence of the corps sitting out 2023.  If VMAPA fails to right the ship by January, DCI has one more action they can take (option #4.)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

I can see a few corps going the route of Brass Theater, as I see it, the end draws near for drum corps. Finances, Pedophiles, Egos oh my! 

That's not going to attract me. Give me field drum corps or give death by a thousand paradiddles. 

46 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

I can see a few corps going the route of Brass Theater, as I see it, the end draws near for drum corps. Finances, Pedophiles, Egos oh my! 

Your pattern of posting seems as if you have some glee in the demise of the activity. Plenty of other hobby pursuits out there my friend...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I agree that DCI was falling down on the job.  But is there anything DCI should be doing differently now?

All DCI can really do is conduct a review, and implement the following possible outcomes as prescribed in their Policies and Procedures:

1.  no further action needed

2.  plan to get back in compliance, no punitive action

3.  lower membership one or more levels

4.  suspend

It appears that the "review" likely occurred in September of this year, when VMAPA could claim they hired Russ Gavin and he/they presented the plan to get the reporting back in order by January.  With that, the review outcome was apparently option #2, and at the same time option #3 also occurred as a consequence of the corps sitting out 2023.  If VMAPA fails to right the ship by January, DCI has one more action they can take (option #4.)

I am of the current thinking that SCV will be able to get the state of Calif. to vacate the current delinquency status there with the state. Principally on my belief that Gov't tax officials there in Calif.  are likely a bit more favorable there to non profit status organizations there that serve youth, than ( for example ) individuals or for profit businesses.  I can see the state of Calif. giving in to " forgiveness " so long as they get the money owed. Its in the state's financial interest SCV  not to go belly up, as future dollars dont future flow to the state should SCV be kaput. Calif needs revenue even more than does SCV. Calif. currently is operating at a 68 billion dollar deficit, by far the largest in the history of their state,( or any state for that matter ).

On the other hand, should my thinking be inaccurate, and SCV does not rectify this with the state soon after the first of the year,forcing then an embarrassed DCI to step in if SCV declares a 2nd consecutive year of inactivity, I don't anticipate a suspension. I would anticipate a permanent revocation of SCV's DCI membership with that.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Maybe . I wish I knew more about DCi reported involvement ...............

I have personally given DCI everything and more. I filed multiple ethics complaints (evidenced with violations in accordance with DCI ethics and standards required of participating organizations), handed DCI the CA DOJ letters on a silver platter, handed them the delinquent status the DOJ has placed SCV in on a silver platter. 

I set these communications to the Ethics mail, and the individual emails of every single DCI Board Member. 

Things are simply going to get to the point where the State of California acts upon the notifications they have been giving SCV and revoke their non profit status as already requested of the California State Franchise Tax Board. 

SCV is in violation of:

Santa Clara Bingo Ordinances 

5.75.060 Eligible organizations.
5.75.080 Exclusive operation by members of the licensee organization.
5.75.150 Profits to be kept in a separate fund or account – Records.
5.75.190 Licensee organization’s submittal of financial records.
5.75.270 Suspension and revocation of bingo permit.

State Law

CA Gambling Laws § 326.5 - Payment of Bingo Staff with Bingo Revenues.
CA Gov Code. 12586 - Failure to submit Audited Financial Statements
Cal. Code Regs., title. 11, § 999.9.4 - Solicitation of prohibited donations as a delinquent entity

Per the law, SCV is eligible to have $80,000 in fines imposed upon it, their nonprofit status removed, and Bingo License revoke. 

These complaints are evidenced and documented, and submitted to the State and City. 

SCV is just meandering along presuming regulators will simply never act. They are mistaken. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Thanks 1