Combining the Divisions.

With the number of corps currently competing in World Class and Open Class, it might be time for DCI to consider combining all the classes. There are a number of Open Class corps who are already very competitive with some of the World Class Corps. The corps that can't afford a full on World Class tour and all regional appearances can opt to have a tour the likes of Jersey Surf this past season. And, with the all the corps competing in the same class; all competing units will receive a payment unlike the current pay structure whereupon the Open Class corps lose out. DCI Week would be similar with all corps beginning finals competition on Thursday. Wednesday would be reserved for the DCA Corps to compete in a one night finals competition. Soundsport would take place during the morning or early afternoon on Wednesday. That would leave Monday and Tuesday for all the competing corps of the combined World and Open along with the DCA corps to rehearse and prepare. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

With the number of corps currently competing in World Class and Open Class, it might be time for DCI to consider combining all the classes. There are a number of Open Class corps who are already very competitive with some of the World Class Corps. The corps that can't afford a full on World Class tour and all regional appearances can opt to have a tour the likes of Jersey Surf this past season. And, with the all the corps competing in the same class; all competing units will receive a payment unlike the current pay structure whereupon the Open Class corps lose out. DCI Week would be similar with all corps beginning finals competition on Thursday. Wednesday would be reserved for the DCA Corps to compete in a one night finals competition. Soundsport would take place during the morning or early afternoon on Wednesday. That would leave Monday and Tuesday for all the competing corps of the combined World and Open along with the DCA corps to rehearse and prepare. 

won't happen. World Class will never intentionally give up their financial stake to share it, and open class continues to not have big enough balls to demand more than the nothing they get now.

a day in the middle of the week is a non starter for All Age. still enough members with school or work commitments. Same with Soundsport.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

won't happen. World Class will never intentionally give up their financial stake to share it, and open class continues to not have big enough balls to demand more than the nothing they get now.

Open class get paid when they do compete in a world class show. 

many open class show have limited spectators in the stand. Most time, closer to 100 than 1000. 

You can’t ask a promoter to pay 30 000$ so that corps can have a pay check. It’s mathematical. There won’t be any show left. 

Also, I still believe that kids marching Open Class do deserve to compete in their own finals, so they can aspire to medal or even become champions.  Do we really think most Open Class kids want to spend a summer hoping to make it to 20th place? I've had a ton of former band kids march in 7th Regiment and Spartans over the years.....they get really motivated for their own finals.

• Like 4

It's time for DCI to drop quarterfinals and not have all open class corps in semifinals. I wonder when we get down to 8 corps is DCI still going to have quarters, semis AND finals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vuitton said:

It's time for DCI to drop quarterfinals and not have all open class corps in semifinals. I wonder when we get down to 8 corps is DCI still going to have quarters, semis AND finals.

I don’t think they’ll do that especially after last August. I’ve never seen more people at prelims on Thursday. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, Old Guy said:

Open class get paid when they do compete in a world class show. 

many open class show have limited spectators in the stand. Most time, closer to 100 than 1000. 

You can’t ask a promoter to pay 30 000$ so that corps can have a pay check. It’s mathematical. There won’t be any show left. 

Open class get a pittance from mixed shows and ZERO from OC shows. They’re ALLOWED to exist under the dci umbrella. 

aint that some ****

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:32 PM, Jeff Ream said:

B I N G O