Cadets Suspend for 2024

9 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Sometimes you need to tell the vocal minority to shut up. Their #####ing brings nothing to the table. The activity was going to evolve with or without them. 

In the past 12 hours I think I have seen at least 4 dozen comments on social media on how props and electronics are the reason why corps fold and that is just brain dead wrong. If you want to have a serious conversation about the activity, at least understand the issue.

Edit - there’s just something about this that seems elitist and wrong. I never think telling someone to shut up is the way to work through an issue. It’s what you say when you don’t have a good argument. Those who thought A&E were the wrong way to go were told to shut up. Where is their money now?  Not being spent on drum corps. So, how did that turn out?

Now we are all smart and decided it’s moving the busses down the road that is the big expense. Ok. Well, what’s the solution to that. I offered up one. End the regionals. Stay local until finals week. 

Edited by HockeyDad
My initial snarky reply wasn’t going to add anything to the conversation
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

There is another corps announcing soon.  

I've been trying to think of a corps that hasn't been so visible in the offseason. But that may not matter, as Cadets tweet this the day they made their announcement:

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It's hard to get people to do this, but I've just donated a little what I could with this announcement. It won't save them this year, but turning out back on them now won't help later. 

Or turning our backs on each other as a community and family (meaning DCP and the whole corps world). I too plan to write a check to my favorites as I do every year and probably even one or two small, OC corps I never even had much interest in or was a fan of. 

Families come together in times of crisis. They don't bicker and place blame on the details of that crisis. 

• Like 3

I have heard repeatedly that they had no income other than the fees the membership paid.  I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that it would be next to impossible to support a 165 member drum corps based on tour fees alone.  

Somebody on BAC'S BOD told me several years ago that their member fees were less than half of their annual revenue.  

This is a real shame.  They were excellent on the field last summer.

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

That's because your are smart and reasonable, the clowns on Facebook and Reddit are not.

Lol thanks but I don’t know about that. I’m just speaking as a consumer.  We don’t eat extravagantly but we do eat clean, lots of fruit and vegetables, no processed food and my grocery tab yesterday was $250. For a week. 😳 And I purchase gasoline. 

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Please do educate us. What is the issue?  Goes outs > goes ins?

First of all it's not just one issue. You can start with food and fuel costs, especially with inflation hitting food costs most. Then there is housing which has skyrocketed because you have to pay big bucks to even use a high school and there needs to be a reserve for hotels. Then there is the number of shows going down which makes some corps have to travel more and get fewer show pay outs (which were small anyways) 

You can't go regional because you don't have the number of corps or the show venues. So you have to work with the national tour. We are dealing with a very complicated issue that does not boil down to the costs of electronics and props which is less than 3% of operating costs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Edit - there’s just something about this that seems elitist and wrong. I never think telling someone to shut up is the way to work through an issue. It’s what you say when you don’t have a good argument. Those who thought A&E were the wrong way to go were told to shut up. Where is their money now?  Not being spent on drum corps. So, how did that turn out?

Now we are all smart and decided it’s moving the busses down the road that is the big expense. Ok. Well, what’s the solution to that. I offered up one. End the regionals. Stay local until finals week. 

How do you stay local without shows where you can perform? 

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Unless DCI can get back into local communities and stop being a rich kid’s summer camp, the activity as we know it will eventually fold. 

How does that happen? Off the top of my head there are only 3 states with more than one drum corps. So we create 100 local corps out of thin air?