A Cost-Cutting Proposal

Here is a proposal to cut costs in Drum Corps.  

1.  Establish 4 DCI regional divisions, with Corps assigned as follows:

Pacific - BD, Mandarins, PC, Academy, SCV, Gold, Cascades, and other Corps from CA, WA, OR, AZ

West - Troopers, BK, Crossmen, Genesis, Guardians, Battalion, and other Corps from that area. 

Midwest - Phantom, Cavaliers, Colts, BS, Madison, MC, and other Corps from that area 

East - Bloo, BAC, Crown, SoA, Surf, and other Corps from that area

First 2-3 weeks Corps only compete within division. Each Corps hosts a show.  

Pacific and West meet first time in San Antonio.  Midwest and East meet first time in Atlanta.   Then both tours head to Indy over 2-week period. Indy is where all Corps meet for the first time.  

Second part is limit size of convoy.  3 member busses, 1 staff bus.  2 Semis.  One food truck.  2 vans, one of which pulls souvenir trailer.  This will cut down vehicle rental costs, fuel costs, and insurance costs.  Designers, design what you want but it has to fit In the convoy.   Ten-point penalty for each excess vehicle. 

I realize that this will #### off various constituencies, but something has got to give.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
More better English
  • Like 2

I’m not sure there’s enough scale remaining for a regional model. Perhaps it’s time to scrap the whole DCI model altogether. 

I wonder if there’s a way to tap into local school districts by creating DCI district bands - district drum corps. These corps would compete during the summer, march in parades, appear in community events and festivals. If successful, the activity may be able to grow and prosper. 

• Like 1

It is generally like this already.  Most corps do not leave their region until mid-July (there were a few exceptions).  The major costs for transportation, food, and housing are the same whether you stay in your region or not.  You still must travel, house, and feed the kids between shows - which can be far apart in the regions you mentioned.  Travel, Housing, and Food are the BIG costs.

Midwest may be the most workable as the corps are closer together.  But think of the distance between the Spartans in NH and Heat Wave in FL (1500 miles), or Cascades WA and Gold in CA (1500 miles), or Battalion UT and Genesis TX (1300). 

Last year Crusaders hosted 2 shows and there were only 4 corps in attendance (BAC, Cadets, Spartans, and 7th Regiment).  Crown, Spirit, Bloo did not attend, in part, because of the distances.  It would take Crown at least 3 days of travel to get to the MA show.  Also, the other eastern corps are just not ready until mid-July each year and would probably not travel much anyway (Surf, Raiders, Heat Wave)

As for reducing the number of vehicles, that may help some.

Thank you for trying to help with presenting ideas, god knows we need them!

• Like 2

What’s the average staff on the road level?  That ties into vehicle space.  If you eliminate sleeper coaches, you reintroduce the previous problem of having to find staff housing where school classroom space was becoming limited.  You’re probably still looking at two staff vehicles. 

is this the typical or ideal size today?

3 admin

2 medical

5 brass (4 techs plus caption head)

5 visual (4 techs plus caption head)

6 percussion (5 techs plus caption head)

4 guard (3 techs plus caption head)

2 electronics (1 tech plus caption head)

3 merchandise

4 food truck

2 media

3 designers (not the full team on the road at once)

3 costumes/production team

8 drivers?

50 total

Am I missing anyone?

Edited by rmurrey74

I’ll add one more idea - In-person camps limited to 3 (inc audition).  Virtual camps are unlimited.  Spring training starts no earlier than 1 June. This limits food & housing costs.  

Participants in Marching Music’s Major League should be able to learn show in 3-4 weeks.  

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’ll add one more idea - In-person camps limited to 3 (inc audition).  Virtual camps are unlimited.  Spring training starts no earlier than 1 June. This limits food & housing costs.  

Participants in Marching Music’s Major League should be able to learn show in 3-4 weeks.  

This is already what the vast majority of corps do for camps, 3 or 4 satellite audition camps (students only need to attend 1), 1 callback camp, April camp, then move ins

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I’m not sure there’s enough scale remaining for a regional model. Perhaps it’s time to scrap the whole DCI model altogether. 

I wonder if there’s a way to tap into local school districts by creating DCI district bands - district drum corps. These corps would compete during the summer, march in parades, appear in community events and festivals. If successful, the activity may be able to grow and prosper. 

Local school districts already have bands and the desire for local summer marching bands is nonexistent, it's hard enough to fill out music programs as it is and school districts aren't particularly known for spending more money on music programs

• Like 1