Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard a story about ten years ago that someone went to a loan shark to get the money to keep their corps going. 

i can only imagine the vig

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

It actually can be quite satisfying taking the 50 grand knowing quietly they contributed to something possibly against their own political or social values😁

I am very satisfied every time I cash my check from a church gig. Semi pro musicians cant live without the church regardless of their religious affiliation. 

If an organization like Chic fil A is going to give large amounts of money to a corps, its on them to make sure it fits their corporate social responsibility. DCI is very inclusive and LGBT friendly, but to my knowledge they do not have any outward programs or DEI initiatives that would scare away people who use the "woke" trope to polarize people. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the internet, where everything is black and white, there are no gray areas, and the moral high ground is littered with the bodies of those we climb over to get there. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Annndddd getting back on topic, while the list presented on the first page of this thread is a great list and clearly has provided income to corps in the past, I think corps need to start getting more creative. More corporate sponsorships outside of the music activity. More income driven initiatives that aren't bingo halls, but maybe are more like bingo halls. VFW runs clubs, maybe a corps needs to start a club. All LEGAL options should be on the table in order to sustain the activity. 

21 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I am very satisfied every time I cash my check from a church gig. Semi pro musicians cant live without the church regardless of their religious affiliation. 

If an organization like Chic fil A is going to give large amounts of money to a corps, its on them to make sure it fits their corporate social responsibility. DCI is very inclusive and LGBT friendly, but to my knowledge they do not have any outward programs or DEI initiatives that would scare away people who use the "woke" trope to polarize people. 

I figure if the Israeli symphony can play Wagner, a raging antisemite, Boston can take Chick fil a money.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I figure if the Israeli symphony can play Wagner, a raging antisemite, Boston can take Chick fil a money.   

THIS!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Annndddd getting back on topic, while the list presented on the first page of this thread is a great list and clearly has provided income to corps in the past, I think corps need to start getting more creative. More corporate sponsorships outside of the music activity. More income driven initiatives that aren't bingo halls, but maybe are more like bingo halls. VFW runs clubs, maybe a corps needs to start a club. All LEGAL options should be on the table in order to sustain the activity. 

Got it - counterfeiting & bank robbery are off the table.  

• Haha 2

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

Got it - counterfeiting & bank robbery are off the table.  

With the way this topic has been going I figured I had best put the qualifier in so no one jumped down my throat. 

• Haha 3