CA Dept of Justice REJECTS SCV's as of SEP-2023 registration submission.

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I've actually discussed this with others. I know you're being sarcastic, but there are plenty of those folks around and available who don't have criminal records. And those I've discussed this with agree without any hesitation.

Well, the director thought “he deserves a second chance.” I’m paraphrasing from the Tricia Nadolny article in the Philadelphia inquirer. 

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well, the director thought “he deserves a second chance.” I’m paraphrasing from the Tricia Nadolny article in the Philadelphia inquirer. 

To tie this in with the thread topic… I’m sure the corps members were not informed of the issues with this person. And for SCV I’m wondering what potential members (and their parents/guardians) are told about SCVs problems the last 2 years. Or is it all about SCVs glory years.

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To tie this in with the thread topic… I’m sure the corps members were not informed of the issues with this person. And for SCV I’m wondering what potential members (and their parents/guardians) are told about SCVs problems the last 2 years. Or is it all about SCVs glory years.

A lot of them knew.  He was removed from a university campus for being a registered sex offender. They had to wonder where he went and why he wasn’t at the show.  They lied to the university President. I know the whole story.  The university President told me all of it. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any parent who does 5 minutes of due diligence is going to have major concerns with supporting their child’s participation in 2024 Santa Clara Vanguard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I assume we’re talking about Morgan Larson. It’s all public domain. No need to hide it. I heard he was the cause or accelerator of the demise of CapitolAires. But even after release from prison, and while a lifetime registered sex offender, continued on with Kilties, Jim Ott Brass Ensemble, and a Soundsport group, as recent as 2018?  . What have I missed?  We have a long way to go in this activity to protect the members. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigW said:

I've actually discussed this with others. I know you're being sarcastic, but there are plenty of those folks around and available who don't have criminal records. And those I've discussed this with agree without any hesitation.

yes but you have to have an organization people want to be in. 

42 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I assume we’re talking about Morgan Larson. It’s all public domain. No need to hide it. I heard he was the cause or accelerator of the demise of CapitolAires. But even after release from prison, and while a lifetime registered sex offender, continued on with Kilties, Jim Ott Brass Ensemble, and a Soundsport group, as recent as 2018?  . What have I missed?  We have a long way to go in this activity to protect the members. 

Midwest Connection. He got away with it in Kilties for a few reasons.  One of them was that he was “dating” a board member. So I guess you could say he was a sex offender with benefits.

To move back on topic before someone loses their ####.  Drum corps has a lot of dirty little secrets. And the old people know most of them. 🤔

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Midwest Connection. He got away with it in Kilties for a few reasons.  One of them was that he was “dating” a board member. So I guess you could say he was a sex offender with benefits.

To move back on topic before someone loses their ####.  Drum corps has a lot of dirty little secrets. And the old people know most of them. 🤔

and we have seen in many SCV threads rumors persist there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I ran into that issue a few years ago in the MD Panhandle. HS Band brought in a fellow from WV who had to surrender his Teaching License and pay the Counseling fees for his five victims. The Chief Judge and I had a closed-door conversation with the director. We told him we knew about this cat. He said he was "keeping an eye on him". Ream will confirm if I get really upset my voice goes up about three octaves. I told the guy "YOU CAN'T KEEP AN EYE ON A GUY LIKE THAT!!!" Chief Judge nods and says, "He's right. Fire him, or we go to your band parents and tell them everything." My head's nodding like a bobblehead. He fired the guy.

To direct this to this thread--- transparency is essential. Running an honest and ethical organization is essential. If you fumble, accidental or not, embarrassing or not, fess up, fix the problem and do better or if the problem was that bad- have yourself replaced by people who will do a better job. 

I'm of the thought here that it's been the repeated coverup and the attempt to silence anyone who's presented hard evidence, not the actual screw-up that's angered so many. And rightfully so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4