Dance Company vs Color Guard

I think this is just a change in the "labeling" or marketing of the ensemble. I'm sure the "Dance Company" will still utilize all weapons (equipment) at their disposal. (We have dance line members that also perform & compete with our winter guard.) Just my thoughts & opinion. 🤔  

ex: historical titles such as flag corps = color guard, etc...

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

8 hours ago, denverjohn said:

I remember the year Cadets guard went to "comas" as a replacement to simulated rifles claiming that the rifles were too "militaristic".

I know that, "he whose name will not be mentioned" said, on several  occasions, his goal was to eliminate any guard apparatus that

had a military " tie-in".

Geez, now @Lance will need to change his sig line from I've seen the future of DCI and it is WGI to I've seen the future of DCI and it's a bunch of dancing flowers and maybe a couple of woodwinds. 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I think this is just a change in the "labeling" or marketing of the ensemble. I'm sure the "Dance Company" will still utilize all weapons at their disposal. (We have dance line members that also perform & compete with our winter guard.) Just my thoughts & opinion. 🤔  

ex: historical titles such as flag corps = color guard, etc...

Adding to my comment (it's early): I meant to say many schools in our area have added dance teams that are not associated with the band or cheer programs. This is probably a recruiting technique by re-marketing the 'brand' of color guard. I was thinking the comment but it didn't make it to print. (needs more coffee) :sleepy:

Dance ensembles, studios, etc, have really become popular over the past decade & there is a limited amount of cheer positions. I think this maybe to appeal to those other students involved in their schools's dance teams?      

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, denverjohn said:

I remember the year Cadets guard went to "comas" as a replacement to simulated rifles claiming that the rifles were too "militaristic".

I have no problem with “non-rifle rifles”, sabers, rings, hoops, balls, or any other kind of equipment. Flags, swing flags, split flags, ging gongs, banners, all good with me.  Handling the equipment is what i enjoy.  I also have NO problem with dancers and dancing. In fact, dancing in addition to, or in conjunction with, equipment handling is great.  I am a BD honk.  How could i say otherwise?  I just don’t EVER want dancing to replace equipment work.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DWW11 said:

And that is when i will stop following drum corps.      

One of most impressive flag work wows for me was the ballad by Academy in 15.  They added the percussion section also working flags.  Something like a 100 flags.  If this were to take place, it would be like adding woodwinds.  Save me a seat DWW11 on the bus.

• Thanks 1

The color guard part of drum corps shows should change with the times. For example, why are they still called guard? Who are they guarding? Rifles, Sabres, really? All military terms from the beginnings of drum corps. Even Winter Guard International should change their name. How does that name reflect today's activity, and what they are doing,  as some kind of art performance? 

Edited by Phantom56
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

The color guard part of drum corps show should change with times. For example, why are they still called guard? Who are they guarding? Rifles, Sabres, really? All military terms from the beginnings of drum corps. Even Winter Guard International should change their name. How does that name reflect today's activity, and what they are doing,  as some kind of art performance? 

Yeah, throw it all out.  Stop calling it drum and bugle corps, too. There are no bugles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, throw it all out.  Stop calling it drum and bugle corps, too. There are no bugles. 

From my inner-Dino POV, I'm not always in favor of doing things "the way we've always done it" (.02 to @JimF-LowBari for borrowing that) , but there are some traditions that need to be upheld. Today's society seems to ignore that quite frequently. History has meaning. 

• Like 5