DCI Januals 2024

2 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'd just like to point out that the Boston area had 17 straight weekends of rain last spring/summer. 

So...

Seventeen weekends with some rain, but not seventeen wash out weekends.

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Seventeen weekends where at least one of the days had significant enough rain to keep people inside. I was here, it was brutal. It's also become move common for sure. 2021 was a similar story. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

1000 miles away from Indy.  How much would that strain Corps travel budgets?  4 busses x 1000 miles east of where the bus company thought the season would end. 

But it IS in the northeast, so the Senior Division would feel more at home. 

First, I think finals at Gillette if LOS is unavailable is more of a wish for those of us from Boston than a reality, but for the WC corps, the trip from Allentown to Boston is approximately 300 miles, Allentown to Indy is approximately 650 miles. Since most kids fly home, that would save on bus transportation. You would also have the advantage of two airports, Logan in Boston and T.F. Green in Warwick (located here the old Rocky Point where you could have a holiday 🙂). Getting the fleets back could cost more. It could be more expensive for fans. Though there are some hotels in the area, for most Gillette would mean pricier hotels not located near the stadium which would mean renting a car. 

13 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Seventeen weekends where at least one of the days had significant enough rain to keep people inside. I was here, it was brutal. It's also become move common for sure. 2021 was a similar story. 

I live right outside of Boston and was here too, except the weekends of Allentown and Indy. In all seriousness, the likelihood of finals being anywhere but LOS is slim to none. The first preseason game for the Colts is usually the day after finals. LOS will be ready.

Just now, Tim K said:

I live right outside of Boston and was here too, except the weekends of Allentown and Indy. In all seriousness, the likelihood of finals being anywhere but LOS is slim to none. The first preseason game for the Colts is usually the day after finals. LOS will be ready.

Yeah I don't expect that to change, as much as I would love it to. Just saying that without a dome, the likelihood of rain being an issue at Gillette is high. See, Taylor Swift last year, lol.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

When I came back to watching DC in 2003 had a very wet spring. Went to pre season exhibition show and the two DCI corps were still learning end of drill which was unusual then. IOW rainy week days hurt also

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

Can anyone attend Januals? Like, could I just roll up and start taking notes etc? Or is "invite" only? 

You can attend, but you wouldn't be able to get into any room where business is being discussed.  Probably can't crash the NFL Owners' Meetings either. 😎

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You are likely correct that the NFL season is the priority.  Although w/ NFL there is option of moving game to opponent’s field if needed (happens sometimes after big weather for example).   DCI doesn’t have that luxury.   

From what I can tell the 2 closest domed stadiums are Detroit & St Louis.  Logistics of finding housing for 30+ Corps on short notice- yikes. 

Many more options if out-of-doors is acceptable (Purdue & Indiana University both within hour of Indy, albeit in opposite directions).   But at least Indy Corps housing could still be used.  

You could hold finals at Wesleyan where Open Class finals are held