Vanguard 2024

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

To clarify, don’t start the season with an unfinished show if you’ve had camps, ST and a top notch staff designing and teaching.  The top 15 should start with a full show.  Beers on me if someone goes out without their full show.

When the season gets underway, you are going to be tapped out (so to speak).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 6:34 AM, cixelsyd said:

When the season gets underway, you are going to be tapped out (so to speak).

I mean, none of the three productions I marched were finished by first show iirc. 🤷🏽‍♀️ But maybe that's just my gray hair showing? (Rhetorical question, no response needed🫠.)

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Philosophical question- Is it better to have a standard that potentially members need to meet, even if that means a smaller Corps (say 100 members); or do you lower standards so you can march a full Corps?   

Yes and no.

Sacrificing a little size for quality can work in your favor.  But 100 vs. 165 is sacrificing too much.

It also depends on which standards are at stake.  If a brass player or front ensemble player cannot play a certain part, they can be taken off of it.  A snare/tenor/bass drummer cannot hide in that manner, so a minimum standard is more important there.  Hard to hide anyone visually, so standards matter more there.  And the most important standard is attitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I mean, none of the three productions I marched were finished by first show iirc. 🤷🏽‍♀️ But maybe that's just by gray hair showing? (Rhetorical question, no response needed🫠.)

You have touched a nerve.   Rant incoming, not aimed at you but on the idea that it is ok to field an incomplete show early in the season.  

<<Rant on>>

Point is that participants in “Marching Music’s Major League” should be able, after 3+ weeks of spring training, put a full-length show on the field.  The fans are paying money to see them.   If one went to the Broadway premiere of Phantom of the Opera & they stopped midway through the second act, what would the reaction be?  

The paying audience deserves a full length show from day one of season.  Yes it will be cleaned and stuff added throughout the summer, but the bones need to be present from the get-go.   Timing penalties should be enforced from the beginning of the season.  

<<Rant off>>

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You have touched a nerve.   Rant incoming, not aimed at you but on the idea that it is ok to field an incomplete show early in the season.  

<<Rant on>>

Point is that participants in “Marching Music’s Major League” should be able, after 3+ weeks of spring training, put a full-length on the field.  The fans are paying money to see them.   If one went to the Broadway premiere of Phantom of the Opera & they stopped midway through the second act, what would the reaction be?  

The paying audience deserves a full length show from day one of season.  Yes it will be cleaned and stuff added throughout the summer, but the bones need to be present from the get-go.   Timing penalties should be enforced from the beginning of the season.  

<<Rant off>>

Completely fair. And, well, despite the shows I marched being great and all, I cannot say that staff had it together enough to design and teach efficiently. They just drilled us into the ground instead. So to your point earlier, if staff has it together, fielding a full show should be child's play.

I really really want our staff to have it together for the members this season. Support them fully, treat them like royalty, and set them free. If that happens, we'd see a Vanguard we've never seen before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

They would be breaking the promise the CFO made to me that they'd retire it. So please no.

Sorry I didn’t know.