Shows you regret NOT seeing "Live"?

1 hour ago, Mad Mello said:

2008 Phantom is the easy answer for me. I turned down Finals tickets which was a mistake.

Not the best decision of your life.😁

• Like 2

VK. 1987-1993 

I am a big fan of the corps and those shows. I missed them largely because I wasn’t aware of what drum corps was until of being introduced in 1990.  I got to see my first show that year, and was only familiar with the corps who were there due to my HS instructors who were in those corps, or taught them, introducing me.

That said,  I wasn’t familiar with who VK were until one of my instructors in HS showed me 88 Finals in 1991. I was hooked. I fortunately was able to borrow the 87-91 VHS tapes of Finals from that same instructor shortly after that, and got to not only see them in those years, but also discover much more about the activity.  I remember as  a 16 year old trying to plan out a flight itinerary to Anaheim around late October of 1991. It was the year I considered marching.  

VK and Madison were the corps I wanted to march, but never could. Thankfully, I have met several people who marched VK in those years who have told me about the their experience- so that kind of makes up for that lost time I suppose. 

When Star toured California early season, in the late 80s.

I often think about what it would have been like to go to those shows. Some of my all time favorite shows, early season, together in one place  …Freelancers, Star SCV, VK, Blue Devils, …right there at Riverside, Costa Mesa, etc. Good times.

Blue Devils - 1988 

My second favorite all time show…Again,  if I just would have been lucky enough to have noticed drum corps a few years earlier in life….There is video on YouTube of them early season doing the encore at Riverside. I listen to it often. 

Edited by Dmlkmen

On 2/28/2024 at 2:24 PM, Jeff Ream said:

18 SCV...got rained out at Allentown

18, BD & Mandarins as well got rained out at allentown and I missed all three that I was looking forward to seeing

• Like 1

While I saw both INK and Metamorph live in SoCal early in the 2015 and 2017 seasons, I regret not going to Finals and being able to witness Clara coming out of the book and tying that show together..............and hearing "Concord Blue Devils" at the end of Metamorph. 

• Like 3

On 2/28/2024 at 12:05 PM, Terri Schehr said:

1965 Royal Airs. In fact, the whole show at McCormick Place. I about wore out my bootleg cassette tape when I was a kid. 

Dave Richards sent me Royal Aires mp3s from this era.  I wish i could have seen them

• Like 1

All of them. I’m a big history person and a big experience person. Granted, I’m only almost 30 so it’s not possible for me to have seen every show, but I wish I had been there for all of it. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:05 AM, Terri Schehr said:

1965 Royal Airs. In fact, the whole show at McCormick Place. I about wore out my bootleg cassette tape when I was a kid. 

This video falls into the "can you name that corps" category.   That's my brother as Boston's DM.  White shako.   I have the finals on iTunes including the classic scores by Tony S., who is in the video saluting.  Boston was the highest placed corps from the East, even though they were 11th in M&M.

Edited by TOC
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 5:59 PM, Mad Mello said:

2008 Phantom is the easy answer for me. I turned down Finals tickets which was a mistake.

I was in Bloomington that night. Drove all the way back to SC after Finals. It was my last live DCI show. 

I wish I'd seen any of the finalist corps live from 83-87. It was an amazing time for drum corps, but I've been lucky to have seen enough live shows from either marching or teaching to be thankful for those experiences. 

• Like 1

Well the one show I am GLAD to have been at was 1982 DCM finals and the runoff between Phantom and Madison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1