Source music you discovered from DCI shows

I always liked classical, so I probably would've found much of the classical I've heard in drum corps at some point anyway - though I was certainly introduced to a bunch through drum corps. There are some deep cuts that I likely never would have stumbled upon because they're generally not played by orchestras: Shosty's Ballet Suite #4 or Fire of Eternal Glory, Copland's Organ Symphony, Hanson's symphonies, Barber's Medea, to name a few.

I'd say where my tastes expanded specifically due to drum corps would be in jazz. Stan Kenton (though he's famous), Don Ellis (would not have understood the title tune to Whiplash), Pat Metheny (he'd just be a guy that thinks Kenny G sucks), Chick Corea, and the jazzophonic stuff Xmen was doing in the early-to-mid-90s.

• Like 3

On 3/4/2024 at 10:39 AM, Lance said:

gigantic list.  dci is what really got me into instrumental/classical music as a young teen.  I played in the band and enjoyed it and all, but after getting exposed to the following pieces and composers with dci, I became the kid listening to classical on my walkman/discman (yes, i'm old) while all my friends were listening to Nirvana and Kriss Kross.  

I was the same. When I was a 13 y/o rookie, I'd never owned a classical or jazz album. By the time I was 18, I must have had 100 of them.  

I see Tower of Power mentioned a couple of times here. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was the same. When I was a 13 y/o rookie, I'd never owned a classical or jazz album. By the time I was 18, I must have had 100 of them.  

I see Tower of Power mentioned a couple of times here. 👍

I was surprised at how popular they are here.  They’d always sell out in the Chicago area when I’d go but they did in Ocala, too. Must be the The Villages people 😂 

• Haha 4

2010…..Beautiful interpretation of an incredible musical idea.

• Like 1

Btw, conductor Dalia Stasevska and the BBC Phil are releasing a CD called Dalia's Mixtape, which will include an orchestral version of Nautilus by Anna Meredith, which you may remember from Bluecoats 2022. (And they followed up with her tune Bump last summer)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Btw, conductor Dalia Stasevska and the BBC Phil are releasing a CD called Dalia's Mixtape, which will include an orchestral version of Nautilus by Anna Meredith, which you may remember from Bluecoats 2022. (And they followed up with her tune Bump last summer)

I like this version. I'll admit I don't really enjoy listening to Anna Meredith much. It makes for great DCI source music but its not for my playlist..lol.  I think the music needs to be combined with visuals to be effective. Just my opinion. I know this tune popped up in an iPhone commercial recently. It was perfect for that too.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 6:28 PM, HockeyDad said:

I’ve often said everything I know about classical music I learned from drum corps or Bugs Bunny cartoons. 

Indeed, and both pre-date DCI.

My first hearing of Debussy's Clair de Lune took place the night I joined the Sunrisers in '63. John Sasso's chart was spectacular and, the cursed mellophone not yet invented, the score was enhanced by 8 glorious, heavenly French Horns!

A bit later, I heard the Verdi Requiem for the first time, courtesy of Red Winzer's pen and the Reading Bucs.

The generation before me witnessed Commonwealth Edison playing Wagner, ... it goes on and on. Drum Corps served to introduce many of us unwashed to the wonders of musical styles we would not have otherwise experienced.

It's been happening for over 100 years!

• Like 1

Cadets 1991 show introduced me to "A Short Ride in a Fast Machine". I became huge fan of John Adams after that.  

Bluecoats 2014 Hymn to Axiom introduced me to Vienna Teng's library.

I don't think I would have fell in love with the music of Copeland or Bernstein to the degree I have without The Cadets.

• Like 1

1990’s The Crossmen and Pat Metheny-  Specifically the album Still Life Talking. This gets constant play in iTunes for me. I hope at some point we can get a corps show doing a modern take on that album. Side Note: 1991’s drum break in Third Wind and how it was brought back in 98 with a deeper groove- Heaven. Love it to this day. 

2015-2023 The Bluecoats and Pat Metheny- Thanks for putting some more great Metheny music into your shows! You have expanded my music library to go out and find the albums with  Shaker Loops, Heat of the Day, and Finding and Believing. 

1984- Madison Scouts - Waltz of Mushroom Hunters. (Buddy Rich, and that album cover from the Roar of 74!) - I would LOVE to hear that on the field again from Madison or even a take from another corps. 

Blue Devils - Hank Levy, (various pieces through the years)- There is Pegasus, and then there is the 1993 show music, which was really obscure stuff for me to find. 

1990 and 1998 Madison Scouts - Remembrance, Paul Hart.- Hard to find on an album, but thankfully YouTube has it being played by a few ensembles. One of my favorite drum corps pieces ever played by the Scouts. 

And like others, these 5 are just to name a few. I am with a lot of people saying John Adams was introduced to them by drum corps. But I also want to say Frank Ticheli, John Mackey, and all of the great British Brass Band pieces we have been hearing lately. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Thanks 1