questionably high amount of openings

On 3/30/2024 at 8:50 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

If push comes to shove, and they really overlook the age rule, I'm available.

Same here. Well, they'd also have to overlook the skill and ability rule.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MitchwithdaSticks said:

Is drumline/drum corps on a general decline in culture?

Drum corps is, yes.  Drumline is not.  The real push in the drumline activity has shifted away from drum corps over time and is now in winter percussion, as many, many more schools now offer that as an alternative that's cheaper and more convenient. 

I think you can make the fair argument that DCI has always inspired school marching bands to raise their game, but by the same token, they're a victim of their own success.  School bands have largely filled the niche that drum corps did back in the day.  The BOA San Antonio Super Regional last year had more than twice as many bands participate at prelims (65) than corps at DCI Prelims (32).

Mike

1 hour ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Same here. Well, they'd also have to overlook the skill and ability rule.

Not to mention the physical requirements thing. I can barely get up and out of a chair with without a "arrgghhhh ohhh man that hurts". 

• Haha 4

On 3/30/2024 at 6:22 PM, KVG_DC said:

That word 'really' is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this sentence.  

Maybe forging the birth certificate in one digit could fool a few but not changing all four digits...

🤣

Who am I kidding?  I'm in pretty decent shape for my age, but the first time I have to run backwards or sideways like a crab I'd fall and break a hip. 

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Who am I kidding?  I'm in pretty decent shape for my age, but the first time I have to run backwards or sideways like a crab I'd fall and break a hip. 

I thought I was going to die when I did RA when I was 44.  And that was old timey stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I thought I was going to die when I did RA when I was 44.  And that was old timey stuff. 

I wouldn't even do one of those stand in a horn arc things anymore. No offense to anyone who does that but I don’t want to wear a costume anymore.  I’ve been done playing for 22 years and absolutely fine with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Who am I kidding?  I'm in pretty decent shape for my age, but the first time I have to run backwards or sideways like a crab I'd fall and break a hip

It's ok; they've got you covered. Most groups now travel with a Level 1 mobile trauma unit.  Hip replacement? Not a problem... 😂 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

It's ok; they've got you covered. Most groups now travel with a Level 1 mobile trauma unit.  Hip replacement? Not a problem... 😂 

When my dad had his hip replacement they said the surgery will take “about an hour” and they were right. But all I could think was “HipCrafters; a new hip in about an hour.”

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

When my dad had his hip replacement they said the surgery will take “about an hour” and they were right. But all I could think was “HipCrafters; a new hip in about an hour.”

Wow, that’s quick.  I think my knee took about three hours.  It was a mess.