Cadets and bankruptcy

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I believe GH was in Cadets management by 1982.  And the Tricia Nadoly articles clearly established that the GH assaults were happening at that time (I know several survivors).  So, by then management had set the tone allowing such behavior to occur.  And, as some in Cadets management in the 2010s said to a later victim- ‘GH will be GH’.  Cadets could have stopped it if they had the cajones to.  But they didn’t.  Reap what has been sown.  

My favorite all-time show is Appalachian Spring from 1987.  I will miss them.  

I believe GH took over as director in 1983. According to a person I knew who had marched with 27th in 1981 and did not jump ship and march with Garfield, GH used to claim he was the true director from the moment he started with the corps and even though he wasn’t director at the time, he personally recruited George Zingali, Marc Sylvester, and Peggy Twiggs. I’ve also heard GH recruited Zingali who brought the others with him. I haven’t seen this person in many years, and at the time he was not anti GH, so it wasn’t a gossipy conversation, just an observation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

So the man in the original suit is deceased, and now so are Cadets.  All that's left for her lawyers to go after now is DCI itself. That may be a tough case to make considering it allegedly took place at a New Years Eve party 42 years ago.  

42 freaking years ago! Ridiculous and very sad. Wow.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, craiga said:

I don't believe so.  I think they were in some sort of receivership during 83-85 and were able to retire their debts and reclaim the full name after those 3 years.

I'm not an attorney, but it seems pretty clear that the judge has ruled if anyone ever comes out with a new corps that uses the identity in any way, they will also become a co-defendant. 

So Cadets of Memphis... isn't happening 

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Haven't other corps faced bankruptcy and returned? Didn't Boston Crusaders file for bankruptcy back when?

The Kingsmen did twice but they were never the same and didn't have a sexual harassment lawsuit hanging over their heads.  This is different and permanent for Garfield.

"The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers"

Dick the Butcher - Henry IV, Act IV, William Shakespeare

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Sigh...I've seen many drum corps fold over the years. But this one is a real heart breaker. Thanks for the memories, Garfield Cadets...  (respectful Snip!, just wanted to reference the post.

I certainly share your sentiments my friend.  I think you speak for a lot of us.

I haven't spoken to you in a while, it's good to know you're still around and kicking.  -Dave in West Virginia

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I get that people are mad and upset. But the - she got what she wanted - they got their pound of flesh- stuff is ridiculous. What “she wanted”, I’m pretty sure, was to not be sexually molested. And then have to live with the stigma and victim blaming over the past 40 years and even up to this minute. So, yeah, let this be a warning to all those corps that still exist. DFTK. Perhaps this is the message that’s needed. Have you corps received it loud and clear??

I agree with you. I think it's time we all just say our goodbyes. All we have left are the memories of the great shows and the tremendous work put forth by the alumni of the corps who gave us so many wonderful performances. It's a sad day in Drum Corps History. 😞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Hence adding DCI. Hard to keep a suit alive when there's no viable entity to sue.

Makes one wonder if there’s a 3rd party funding the suit.