Cadets and bankruptcy

14 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Someone yesterday that the Cadets have $13 Million in the bank. Is this true? If so, who gets this money?

I believe that was in reference to how much DCI has

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if they werent lapdogs, they would have fired him immediately when the story broke 6 years ago, as opposed to the resignation approach that led to DCI taking a much harder stand than they wanted to.

and i actually know one of them, and he said they pretty much rubber stamped everything he presented.

The board did not get involved in decisions relating to performance, so to that extent there was indeed a rubber stamp. That's what infuriated a segment of the community who wanted the corps leadership replaced (which was, unfortunately, contractually impossible without bankrupting the organization and taking down not only The Cadets, but US Bands and the youth dance studio). But the reason for the conflict was personality and results, not criminality. If you know the people involved, you know that this is an accurate description of the situation.

No one rubber-stamped sexual misconduct because it was not known at the time. If the Philadelphia Inquirer had broken the story in January - which is what should have happened - action would have been taken immediately. We still might be in the same position today, because 1982 was still a long time before and obviously still unresolved for the victim, but at least it would have been a clean break. Instead there was a bunch of anonymous communication that paralyzed the organization. The resulting fallout was 10x worse with no benefit to anyone.

Edited by Icer

43 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Someone yesterday that the Cadets have $13 Million in the bank. Is this true? If so, who gets this money?

No, it was DCI who had money in the bank. The Cadets are broke.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TenHut said:

No, DCI has $13M per post I saw.  IDK how much of that is used to run the season.  I suspect their revenues & expenses are mostly during the summer. 

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Edited by Chief Guns

47 minutes ago, Icer said:

The board did not get involved in decisions relating to performance, so to that extent there was indeed a rubber stamp. That's what infuriated a segment of the community who wanted the corps leadership replaced (which was, unfortunately, contractually impossible without bankrupting the organization and taking down not only The Cadets, but US Bands and the youth dance studio). But the reason for the conflict was personality and results, not criminality. If you know the people involved, you know that this is an accurate description of the situation.

No one rubber-stamped sexual misconduct because it was not known at the time. If the Philadelphia Inquirer had broken the story in January - which is what should have happened - action would have been taken immediately. We still might be in the same position today, because 1982 was still a long time before and obviously still unresolved for the victim, but at least it would have been a clean break. Instead there was a bunch of anonymous communication that paralyzed the organization. The resulting fallout was 10x worse with no benefit to anyone.

I'm sure your info here is accurate.  I am curious about one point, however. You mentioned that their BOD wasn't involved in or consulted regarding performance matters.  I wonder, shouldn't it be that way?

My knowledge extends really only to BAC.  Their BOD is made up of nearly 50 people, and AFAIK, their sole mission is generating financial support, not only for the corps but also Inspire's other entities like the high school music festivals and the programs for inner city youth.  Also, I have heard that GH had been very involved with the show production back in the day.   At BAC, my impression is the director steers the ship, but leaves production decisions to the caption heads.  Sounds like very different approaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

on one of the zillion facebook pages where this has been discussed today, one of the people that claimed to write the press release seemed quite pleased with the wording. i called them out on the victim shaming tone, and was met with silence

No response? What a freaking surprise. (Yeah blew up my sarcasm meter on that one). 

• Haha 1