Cadets and bankruptcy

I forgot about SoA. I guess I’ve lost track of the different lawsuits/incidents. That’s pretty ####ed up.

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Disagree Counselor.  Because with that line of reasoning you could also say murder is “ok” because it’s not mentioned in DCI charter rules. I know they didn’t do background checks, but the perps were already through the door and doing bad things.  We knew as kids in the 70’s and the adults in charge knew too. My point is DCI cared about the little stuff (marching overage members) and not the big stuff (protecting members). They had a moral obligation to do so even if not mentioned in any charter/rules. 

I could “somewhat” buy the excuse that those were just the times and it’s “wrong” to apply todays standards to different times, but some of these people (at least two) are celebrated to this day. 

Including "groomers" with names on caption award trophies.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

We had minors march in our alumni corps in 2008. At least a half-dozen, or so.  They were adorable and good. 

My ex-wife (FH) and I (baritone) marched KAC for the duration and we have a pic of our kid with a soprano standing in the rehearsal horn arc next to his mom; he was only 6 at the time and wanted to be out there with his parents so bad. We kicked around the idea of asking Dave & Joe to put him in the US flag unit in a little Kmen uniform since he was still very new to high brass but he didn’t have the hang of body control yet. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

Alumni groups are ALL ADULTS. Soundsport groups DO background check staff, but the participants are all KIDS.

SoundSport has no age limit.  Some SoundSport teams field "kids", while some others field "adults"... and still others are all-age.

Likewise, "alumni" groups are not always exclusively alumni, nor are they always exclusively of a particular age group.

On 4/3/2024 at 12:06 PM, Jeff Ream said:

oh YEA was a #### show. read glass door and thousands of other posts. but the band circuit brought in enough to keep things floating along, even if barely

This is not accurate.  The only #### was from the idiot "in charge".  Nearly everyone else there was doing good work in SPITE of him.  Firmly convinced YEA would still be around if the d###head had stayed out of the way.  Instead he was poison to everything and everyone he touched.  

USBands was growing incredibly well despite the irresponsible draining of it every season to please the whims of a rapist.  

The glassdoor stuff is almost entirely about the rapist and his abusive mismanagement.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeN said:

A statement that the membership was revoked and why.  A declaration of commitment to safety.  An explanation of DCI's values and what the activity actually stands for.  A demonstration of public leadership from the top down of what their priorities are and what member corps are required and and expected to do to protect minors and young adults.  

Off the top of my head.  Sorry for the angry soapbox.

Mike

Spot on

• Like 1

10 hours ago, year1buick said:

Did the person named in the lawsuit, Steve Vogt (apparently now deceased), have a history of abuse? I noticed when I skimmed through the complaint that points were listed that the organization and its leaders should have known he was a risk and failed in their duty to have him fully vetted. 

Sadly at that time, unless jail was involved people skipped from gig to gig and info wasn’t shared 

10 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

First of all, you haven't gotten a response and you are jumping,ping to a huge conclusion here

Alumni groups are ALL ADULTS. Soundsport groups DO background check staff, but the participants are all KIDS. DCI doesn't;t background check the performers either because they are kids. They all complete safesport. What else do you expect DCI to do? 

Do you have anything to do all day rather than stir up drama here? And what does any of your post have to do with the cadets bakruptcy. 

Why do you insist on turning every thread into a "DCI isn't doing enough and doesn[t care".

Over 18 isn’t a kid though. And every class in dci has members over 18. 

We have long been at the point where working with young people requires that absolutely every interaction be strictly about business.  As a public school music teacher, I can tell you that this is the only safe policy.  There is simply no room for anything else but the lesson.  So long as this is not acceptable (and it isn't for many), no amount of training and policy will help.

Music, marching... these are the topics.  All analogous teaching and interaction must flow from there.  Making things 'fun' requires a smile on one's face and an affable approach... but there can be no room for any outside influence (social, political, or remotely off-color).

Awful as this may seem to many... I promise you, it is a wonderful model for teaching and learning.

It wasn't like that when I was at Bluecoats over 20 years ago.  While there was nothing bad going on that I could see, there was plenty that could have been problematic, provided a minor shift of perspective.  It's probably still like this most places (and obviously downright horrible in some, as we hear frequently).

• Like 3